Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine Shed - a place to keep my collection >

The Machine Shed - a place to keep my collection

The Machine Shed - a place to keep my collection

Old 10-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Default The Machine Shed - a place to keep my collection

We're finally getting working on this - the best way to get the machines out of the house!

Stripped off the tin that the PO had put over the old roofing and siding

DH cut the building loose and then pulled off the end wall.

He expected to knock in part of the front wall, but with just a tap of the skidsteer bucket - it folded right up.

This will get burned in the winter when there is snow on the ground.

And starting on the new shed. Full height walls (yea!)

DH had to disconnect the electricity before starting, and then teased me "what you want electricity? I thought you were only going to have treadles out here!"
Old 10-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Looking good!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 AM

Oh, I'm so excited for you. Keep us posted as progress is made. Hopefully this great Indian Summer weather will continue for a long time!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:40 AM

This is awesome. Please post pics regularly. A craft studio all its own? Heck, yes.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 AM

What I see must just the reception porch area for the main Machine Shed. The “shed” needs to be about 10-times that size, doesn’t it.....?

FWIW: An old Supermarket across the street from our house went up for auction last Friday. It is an 18,540 square feet brick building. I haven’t heard yet what it brought. My wife and I looked at it as a really cool sewing machine storage building, then decided it might not be big enough......plus the fact that we probably couldn’t even afford to have the electricity turned on, much less heat it and cool it......or pay the taxes on it.......or insure it.......or maintain it.......but it sure would hold a bunch of sewing machines!

CD in Oklahoma

Last edited by ThayerRags; 10-26-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-26-2014, 11:52 AM

Love seeing what you are doing. (And your property looks so pretty and rural.) Does the red-sided, tin-roofed part remain structurally sound? Will it be part of the Machine shed?
Old 10-26-2014, 12:14 PM

I agree it's going to be smaller than I would have liked, but I'm going to make it work! Besides, this will help to put a limit on my sewing machine collection. I will use the wall shelves like I have in the house, so I can have a lot on display.

There will be the workroom on the one end, and I'm not sure how I'll arrange the rest, but maximum machine capacity is the goal. I also want to be able to have 2- 3 people able to sew at a time, in case I want to give lessons or just let someone try machines out.

Sheri - this was two buildings butted up together. So we left the joint wall and that will be replaced after we get most of the framing on the other section done. DH and I have a LOT of experience doing stuff like this . . .

The part left is quite a bit newer, and in a lot better shape. We already did quite a bit to it, but had kept the tin siding. After we get the new building done, we'll fix the roof and siding on the east section to match. The east side is my summer kitchen, and it's already insulated and heated.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:44 PM

Well Cathy,
When you all get through with yours, if you'd like to spend the winter in a nice Southern state, (oh, and maybe build another one of these...) let me know. I was born and raised in MT so I know what the winters are like; we used to joke that we'd do anything to escape during that time of the year!
JK...it's looking good!
Old 10-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Wow, how great! I would love something like that.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
DH had to disconnect the electricity before starting, and then teased me "what you want electricity? I thought you were only going to have treadles out here!"
You need electricity for the lathe, to remake new parts. Duh!