Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Machine Vibrating the Whole Floor -- What to Do? >

Machine Vibrating the Whole Floor -- What to Do?

Machine Vibrating the Whole Floor -- What to Do?

Old 10-22-2018, 05:16 AM

Default Machine Vibrating the Whole Floor -- What to Do?

I'm absolutely thrilled with my Pfaff 130 I got a couple of weeks ago, but it has a real bad vibration. I can't go even slightly fast or then the whole machine and cabinet will start shaking the whole floor. Our house is old and we are working on putting supports in the basement to prevent more settlement. I don't want the Pfaff vibration to bring the house down, lol! Any tips on how to absorb some of the vibrations? None of my Singers shake like this one!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:56 AM

Hmmmm . . . no help here. I've never had a machine that vibrated that much. I hope someone else can help.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:14 AM

There was a recent thread about this very thing but with another machine. A few of the suggestions were the kneeling garden pads made of rubber or foam, putting the machine on a very sturdy table and/or adding one of the quilted machine tool/machine caddy with a lot of batting in it. I would put the machine on a very sturdy table (think wood), up against an exterior wall. There is usually more framing there. Years ago, I was doing some machine embroidery and was using one of the 6 foot fold up tables. The machine wasn't stable at all. I put a 2' x 3' piece of thick plywood under my machine and it stopped most of the shaking.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I'm absolutely thrilled with my Pfaff 130 I got a couple of weeks ago, but it has a real bad vibration. I can't go even slightly fast or then the whole machine and cabinet will start shaking the whole floor. Our house is old and we are working on putting supports in the basement to prevent more settlement. I don't want the Pfaff vibration to bring the house down, lol! Any tips on how to absorb some of the vibrations? None of my Singers shake like this one!
It looks like you have hard wood floors. Have you checked the joints of the cabinet to make sure joints are all tight?

I work in a sheet metal shop with lots of heavy machines and the smaller ones that aren't bolted to the floor have a tendency to scoot while being used. I have one machine that I put 2x4s behind, but it still scoots to the side and that is on a solid cement floor. So I can imagine what it is like with a sewing machine. I don't think building a frame and bolting it to the joists would be an option.

I'm not sure if something like https://www.target.com/p/mohawk-1-6-...t/-/A-23983958 would help, but looks like it might if it is large enough to set under the whole cabinet. I'm thinking a thick mat with rubber backing would help. I saw that was a solution for moving pedal at traveling foot pedal

Good luck, that sure is a nice looking machine and well liked Pfaff model,

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:27 AM

I would do a thorough clean and oiling of the machine, just to make sure, the 130 is a stable low noise machine. I assume it's electrical, but it's much the same for a treadle; go through all joints and resting points, the machine has to rest stabely in the cabinet, and the cabinet feet should ideally be fitted with sturdy furniture felt. Are any of them missing? There's usually felt where the machine bed rest in the cabinet too. All feet has to rest evenly on the floor, no tilt in either direction. Check the motor belt, not too tight, slightly on the loose side, and it should run smoothly; it is all about condition of the motor belt (you might need a new), and straight line between motor pulley and hand wheel. Hardwood floors or tiles are no poblem with the right precautions. Check the cabinet for anything needing tightening up, every thing should be firm, nothing should wiggle.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-22-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 AM

First: Put the sewing machine on a different table and use it. Does it still vibrate like crazy? If so, the machine is probably the culprit.

Second: Have you ever gone into a restaurant and been seated at a table that rocks? It sounds like you could have a similar problem.

Maybe you could put shims under the legs until the vibration either stops or is minimized. It's trial and error, no doubt. I was thinking you might be able to do it with those little pads of paper with sticky glue on one end. Set a full pad under each of the legs, then take off a few of the papers at a time from each leg until the table is not vibrating so much.

Mind you, I have not tried this method, but it's pretty cheap to try. If it works, you have the levels needed for each leg and can use the pads to find a more durable shim.

Last edited by cathyvv; 10-22-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 AM

the foam mats you stand on in the kitchen buy one and put your machine on it it will work wonders for you
Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 AM

Addendum to the first suggestion - If you use a different table in the room where the machine is already vibrating and it still vibrates, try sewing on a different table in a different room.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but something seems wrong more than just vibration. I bought a 130 at an auction and didn't touch it for 2 years, plus who knows how long it sat before it was auctioned. I just oiled it and it purred like a kitten.

I believe I would be looking for the cause of the vibration rather than trying to mask it. I have a 401 which i believe is not as nice a machine as a 130, and it's in a cabinet on hardwood floors and it doesn't vibrate.

Do you have a level? See if the cabinet is level. Make sure the machine is well oiled. I'd try to isolate where the vibration is coming from. Is it cabinet? Is it the machine? Take the belt off and run it, does it still vibrate?

If I couldn't figure it out, I'd take it to the OSMG. I think the machine would be worth it. I think there is definitely something wrong, not just a vibration problem. MY OSMG will sell you a 15 minute "look at" for $20.00. If it's really simple, he fixes it. If not, he tells you how much it will probably cost. Maybe yours will.

bkay
Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Wow, thank all for your suggestions! I'll try all your ideas!