Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
This makes me wanna cry .... :-( >

This makes me wanna cry .... :-(

This makes me wanna cry .... :-(

Old 09-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Because they did not know any better!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
if it where close I'd buy it. I have the Red prefect Victorian style shade for it. It would look perfect sitting next to the others, nice looking base they made, they used garments at the holes.

thats nothing more than another way of saving a $25 item. I'm sure 90% of the people seeing this would be very happy with it sitting in there home.
I don't have a problem repurposing machines that are too far gone to revive, either for parts or crafts. But taking an almost pristine looking machine and ruining it really seems like a sad waste to me:< I've never seen a red eye like that for $25 in my outer space.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:24 PM

That's called 're-purposing'.

In any case, the re-purposing or the sewing machine into a lamp kept it from being tossed in the trash. Personally, I think the lamp is cute; it must have made someone very happy for a time during their life and that's not a bad thing.

Of course from our perspective, if the machine was functional then 'lamping' it wasn't such a good idea.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I would cry too. Would like to get hold of them and ask what they were thinking/smoking?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
if it where close I'd buy it. I have the Red prefect Victorian style shade for it. It would look perfect sitting next to the others, nice looking base they made, they used garments at the holes.

thats nothing more than another way of saving a $25 item. I'm sure 90% of the people seeing this would be very happy with it sitting in there home.
Gonna join the "I disagree completely" crowd on this one.

I had a friend once who told me that they had seen a bunch of old sewing machines made into lamps but they were all "gross machines" and he thought it would be cool to do that with a "really really nice one" and could I help pick one?. I told him that I support his right to be stupid, but he'd have to do it elsewhere, and preferably with a modern plastic one...
Old 09-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
That's called 're-purposing'.
it is my understanding that the term is SUPPOSED to refer to an object which no longer has a purpose and is being "re-purposed" to be useful again.

That object HAD a purpose, that is cannot do any more... yuck
Old 09-11-2014, 02:39 PM

Ah, Steve, purpose is defined by each of us individually. Maybe the sewing machine belonged to someone the "re-purposer" loved and this was a way to keep him or her alive in the re-purposers mind. That's an important purpose to me, but I agree, this is not what I would have done with it.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Everybody has a different outlook. Some people hang the heads of dead animals in their homes. That creeps me out, but I appreciate that it might make hunters happy and proud. My dad was a hunter and a taxidermist in his early years. This machine looks like an animal with a spear going through it to me. I had steak for dinner and wear leather shoes, so who am I to criticize anyone else?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I am trying to picture sewing machine heads hanging on my walls... LOL
Old 09-11-2014, 04:15 PM

It makes me sad to see that beautiful machine "pierced" through like that no matter what the intentions were. I, now, pass older machines for I don't have room for them, so just don't look anymore.

Recently, my niece has a redeye that belonged to my DMIL (now passed) and she doesn't really want it and asked me if I wanted it. The problem my MIL has 2 daughters who said they didn't want it when she passed away but 1 of the daughters has indicated there were things that others got that she "might" want now, like a chair my husband got. My MIL passed 3 years ago, so I told my niece that she had to offer the machine to my SIL, who doesn't sew, so there wouldn't be any problems. My niece said she wouldn't do that, and just put in a closet because she knows how her aunt is. As a DIL, I'm sure my SIL would pitch a fit if my niece just gave it to me. She wouldn't want it but wouldn't want me to have it. I hope this makes sense and hope it is ok to put this in thread.