Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Maybe in over my head with the 301 - need more help >

Maybe in over my head with the 301 - need more help

Maybe in over my head with the 301 - need more help

Old 08-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The purple one you have, it is the "BigFoot" FMQ foot? I have one of those and it skips stitches on my 301. If I change nothing other than the foot - ANY other FMQ foot I've tried - works on the 301. I suspect that it's a little too tight a foot and hangs up every once in a while and does what you're talking about - if it hovers, it skips. I've considered modifying the foot, but I really don't have that energy at the moment.
Tammi, I've gotten a lot of good help from your website, plus I love the Pointer Sisters and ended up finding some concerts of theirs on YouTube. I sent the purple foot back. I have tried the metal one with the plastic bottom with the yellow lines. Works better but still not great. It only makes a stitch if it is very close to the fabric, which doesn't make for easy FMQ. I have ordered a metal open toe foot for slant shanks from sewing machine 221 and am cautiously optimistic.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Tammi, I've gotten a lot of good help from your website, plus I love the Pointer Sisters and ended up finding some concerts of theirs on YouTube. I sent the purple foot back. I have tried the metal one with the plastic bottom with the yellow lines. Works better but still not great. It only makes a stitch if it is very close to the fabric, which doesn't make for easy FMQ. I have ordered a metal open toe foot for slant shanks from sewing machine 221 and am cautiously optimistic.
Ha! I grew up listening to my dad's favorite music, they had an impact.

In that case, if none of the feet are working correctly, I'd adjust the height of the presser foot first - 3/8" is .375... it's a little high. Next I'd check the timing. If you're familiar with my site, you'll know about the timing series I did about a year and a half ago. The "Perfect Timing" post will show you how to check the timing (and there's a link to a YouTube video I did there too), and let us know what you find.