Measuring for a belt

Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I have access to a lot of raw cattle skin but I wonder if I could handle the smell as it was curing..ewwwwww
The belts that I’m referring to, were from the “old days” when society wasn’t so hung up on the “eeeewwwww” factor. It was different back then. When a beef was butchered on the ranch, the stomachs were saved to make into saddlebags, the hide was saved to make “whatever”, the scrotum (if a bull) was saved to make into a drawstring bag, and so forth. They saved the liver, tongue, kidneys, and the head (head cheese). I don’t think that you’re going to see raw hide cured sewing machine belts done much these days, but if you ever get your hands on a really old treadle belt, it could have been homemade and show the hair follicles inside. PS- It doesn’t smell a bit.

If using plastic tubing, how about simply using your stapler to attach the ends together?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 PM

I saw that but I had already gone and got the belt. If this one breaks I'll be using that method.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:36 PM

My Great Grandmother used all parts of the cow except the moo. I quickly learned not to ask what I was eating.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I used the leg off a pair of pantie hose. Just stretch it real tight and tie a double knot in it. It works, I promise. I also use 3/16" tubing and a part called a hose connector. It's a little piece of plastic that you can push into each end of the hose. I never could make a regular leather belt work -kept moving while I was trying to punch hole in it. Ruined one belt. That's when I got out the pantie hose.
I smash the end of the belt flat with a pair of pliers and then it won't roll.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
My Great Grandmother used all parts of the cow except the moo. I quickly learned not to ask what I was eating.
TOO Funny!! I have not heard this phrase (actually a variant) since my Grandmother passed... She used to say regarding the chickens "I use everything but the cluck"
Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
If using plastic tubing, how about simply using your stapler to attach the ends together?CD in Oklahoma
I used to do that and it works great, but I realized that if I used needle and thread I would not have metal running through the belt track (super old machines and all)