Microwave fabric bowl- update

Old 12-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Default Microwave fabric bowl- update

Hello all,

I thought that I would add a little twist to sewing in the darts. I found that if I removed the top ear on the dart(second photo), as shown, it made sewing the two halves together a little easier and again after turning them right side out and sewing the final stitches in place to finish your project.

Soman2

The other Rodney
Attached Thumbnails img_7408.jpg   img_7410.jpg   img_7411.jpg   img_7412.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Hey Rodney,

Yes, clipping the dart is a good way to do it. Some people also clip the whole seamline of the dart to 1/4" as well to reduce bulk with the final product. That's the way I do them.

It's worth mentioning that some people talk about these setting on fire in the microwave. Perhaps include a warning to the recipients? Here's where I asked about it last year. I think it's mostly a perfect storm that does it: spilled food, too long in the microwave, high wattage microwaves and using other than cotton for thread or batting. I use mine after the bowl's been in the microwave and warn people just in case.

P.s. Also great for ice cream.

ETA:
P.P.S: I play with the size of the darts to make nesting bowls too. This way all of our weird sized bowls have sweaters.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Hey Rodney, It's worth mentioning that some people talk about these setting on fire in the microwave. Perhaps include a warning to the recipients? Here's where I asked about it last year. I think it's mostly a perfect storm that does it: spilled food, too long in the microwave, high wattage microwaves and using other than cotton for thread or batting. I use mine after the bowl's been in the microwave and warn people just in case.
Using "Insul-Brite" for the batting is what starts a fire. That batting has little metal bits in it, and that's not good in a microwave. And too long in the microwave can start a fire, too.
Use the "Insul-Brite"-ed potholders to handle hot stuff. It's great for that. But don't put it into the microwave.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Almost any batting can light on fire with enough help (too much heat, grease, starch, etc.). I doubt that anyone making the fabric bowls is using Insulbrite and getting away with more than one try in the microwave. My specific question in that other thread was about cotton batting and that's where some people started talking about fires. I haven't personally had a fire, I wanted to let Rodney know that some people have though.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Almost any batting can light on fire with enough help (too much heat, grease, starch, etc.). I doubt that anyone making the fabric bowls is using Insulbrite and getting away with more than one try in the microwave. My specific question in that other thread was about cotton batting and that's where some people started talking about fires. I haven't personally had a fire, I wanted to let Rodney know that some people have though.
Yes, there has been much discussion on this over the past few years. Even using the special "tater batting" with all cotton fabric and cotton thread is not a guarantee that they will not catch fire. I warn all recipients of the microwave bags I make that this is an issue with them so be sure to place them in a firesafe area until they have cooled all the way down. Let's all be safe!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:01 PM

I googled 100% cotton for flash point and self ignition point and see that the former is 410 deg.F and the latter 764 deg. F. Does the temps really get that high in normal microwave heating cycles? Self cleaning ovens go somewhere around 550 or so for long periods so I am told.

T O R
Old 12-22-2014, 01:20 PM

I don't think they do. I think the flash point of the leavings that get onto the bags is lower and that's what happens. I suspect they smolder where there's goop added to the fabric bowls.

Perhaps it's also the so called "hot spots" in a microwave as well. How hot do those get?

I just explain to people I give them to that they're safest if they're used after the food is warmed and that there have been instances of fires but no one has narrowed down why they happened.

I have noticed that it's very hard to pin down anyone who's had one light up and get specifics about their microwave, how often the bag was washed, what the bag was made of, etc. They may not know about the bag specifics if it was a gift but the rest they should be able to supply.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:37 AM

I read somewhere that the cotton batting should be without scrim -- that the scrim was polyester and it could be the cause of the fires.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:03 AM

My first use of a Tater bag resulted in my Microwave stopped Heating.. a Really nice lady who does a lot of Quilting gave it to me... so I had to replace the Microwave...
Old 12-23-2014, 05:18 AM

Too many people insist on using Warm and Natural 100% batting which according to the company is only 87.7% cotton! Taking an unnecessary risk and feeding the fear.