Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Minnesota S

Minnesota S

You all have encouraged me so much I jumped it and bought a Minnesota S with beautiful woodwork! The dragon and flower decals are very pretty and in good shape. [I didn't know they had dragons in Minnesota ] I have looked at the videos and will continue to learn about cleaning her and sewing with her. She needs a new belt, that much I know. The immediate question I have is how to get rid of the smoking odor. It is giving me a headache. I will not be refinishing the wood, because it is in great shape. It only needs cleaning. Can I use Murphy's wood soap and water wrung out nearly dry to go over the wood? What do you suggest? Thank you for all I have learned.....now I am addicted! Linda
    Attached Images Attached Images    

What a beautiful machine and cabinet. I am not sure about the smoking order! I guess just a good cleaning and time. Enjoy!!!!!

for motorhome refrig and ice chests, we use newspaper wadded up or dry coffee grounds.....

u might try wadding newspaper up into the drawers for a week or so... if u could get a big tarp or some sort of platic bag and tightly enclose it with some newspaper ( paper absorbs the odors) or the coffee grounds ( they also absorb the odors... but leave a coffee smell) that would be best
    Works like a charm on ice chest and RV refrig!!!
    I've also used this method on old dresser drawers that had a musty/ foul odor

What a beauty! I would use Murphys , as you say wrung out pretty well.

Your machine is beautiful.

We had gotten some old accordian doors from a VFW that were wood ( probably 40-50 years old in a smoking building) that we used in part for the 2... 8ft closet door openings in my quilt rm. And the smoke smell was BAD, we used freebreeze a number of times on the wood, bothsides and smell is good, didn't hurt the wood. We did clean them first with Murphy soap to get any residue off from the cig smoke. Good luck!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

Blog Entries
    Hi, I have a machine exactly like yours. Bought it at garage sale last summer for $20.00. Hope you enjoy yours. I used baking soda in dish inside the drawers to get rid of oder. Good luck.
    DeAnne

Blog Entries
    I like that set up - very nice - I seem to get ugly ones
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill