Modern Age

Old 06-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Default Modern Age

I've gotten a Modern Age Dial-o-Matic machine Made in Japan is on the badge. It has a Singer 15 bobbin but the tension is in the front like the 201. I don't have a manual. I've tried threading it in common sense fashion, have tried the bobbin clockwise and counter. It has a great stitch but the thread quickly gets jammed. Can some one guide me with getting a manual or tell me where I go wrong? Feeling frustrated! TIA
Old 06-14-2017, 02:43 AM

You could picture search very generally for Singer Stylist, or the Golden Touch & Sew. Some of these models have the stitch and settings dials. It often works well with a manual for a close enough model until you have found the correct one. Some where on the machine there might be a model number, often where the stitch selector is, in your case I guess below a dial or on the upper part of the machine.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:01 AM

Sorry, I read your post a bit wrong, for some reason I assumed it was a Singer even though you write Modern Age. If you can post a picture someone might recognise the model, they were usually sold under various brands.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by hootnannie View Post
I've gotten a Modern Age Dial-o-Matic machine Made in Japan is on the badge. It has a Singer 15 bobbin but the tension is in the front like the 201. I don't have a manual. I've tried threading it in common sense fashion, have tried the bobbin clockwise and counter. It has a great stitch but the thread quickly gets jammed. Can some one guide me with getting a manual or tell me where I go wrong? Feeling frustrated! TIA

I'm not sure what you mean by jammed. A picture would help.

Does it sew okay for a few stitches and then make a thread nest on the bottom or on the top?
Have you cleaned the top tension assembly and bobbin case?
Have you tested the tensions after threading?
Is thread going between the tension discs that are facing each other and check spring?
Is the check spring correctly located? I made some bags recently on a 15-clone WITHOUT a check spring and it sewed okay.

There are lots of places here and on the web about tension adjustments. A simple instruction for checking the bobbin tension I found at https://www.coolcottons.biz/bobbin-tension-trick.htm

As you probably know, a lot of similar machines have different names. A Mercury Dial-o-Matic manual can be found at http://www.tias.com/173/PictPage/3923616937.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-14-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: try to not have it run together
Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Banned

My first thought is, if it's a 15 class clone, is the needle oriented correctly and is the needle threaded the right way? Flat of the needle to the right, and threaded left to right.

Cari