Monogrammers?

Old 03-19-2014, 03:37 PM

They can do like I did - send it back LOL!!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM

I have used "the small one" - the ones Cathy showed are the bigger style - just for playing with, nothing seriously, I don't have a lot of cause to monogram.

They work, I find them a tiny bit cumbersome - this is where the new machines perhaps do excel, because you can put in all of that you want to monogram and it just goes off and does it. These ones you have to set up each letter inside a grid of 3 lines, then "zero" the machine for each cam.

To write out "Archaic Arcane" took me probably more than 30 minutes. I'm sure if you got used to it and used it all the time, it might be easier, or of course if you were just doing 2-3 initials

They're really basically the same as the buttonholers, except that they do letters. When I head down into my studio, I'll see if I can find the samples I made.

We did talk a little about them in September here when I had a temperamental one. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...a-t229245.html
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Well, drat! I am such a "stunod"!!! Now that I am all hot to trot about these monogrammers, I just realized that I don't have a machine for them.
I solved the not correct zz machine for monogramming by purchasing an inexpensive Kenmore with all attachments and monogrammer. Works, but like others have mentioned, it is cumbersome and not often used.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
KLO

Thanks for the testimonials. Sounds like I should not bother with this device. Not even sure what got me started on looking at those monogrammers. Just thought it would be neat to do some monogram blocks for quilts for my dgs and others. But I do want to find a slant needle zig-zag machine some day in the future .... when and if I ever find room for it.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 PM

I'm sorry, I meant to post this yesterday. Sometimes I go into the studio and the rest of the world disappears.

Here are the first and second tests of the monogrammer. The second one is the one I did after getting it working after that post I linked to. It does seem to be behaving well after I disassembled and oiled everything.

And I forgot to mention - Yes, Cathy was right - it does need to be a zigzag machine for this attachment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]468524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails monogrammer.jpg  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 PM
KLO

ArchaicArcane, Oh great, now I am back to wanting one. I would still have to get a zz machine though so unless SteveH gets back to me with some details on a great deal, I will continue to look around my local CL and keep my fingers crossed that one shows up.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 PM

Oops. Sorry about that.
OK, maybe not -really- sorry,... a little bit though.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 AM

It may be a bit cumbersome but the results look good.
Rodney
Old 03-28-2014, 08:57 AM

I can't recall if that's one or two times around each letter. I seem to remember doing that, but it also may be just the buttonholer I'm remembering? If it suggested it in the manual, I likely tried it.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:44 PM

Yes! I love this thread. I just bought a kenmore monogrammer and button hole attachment in the black box today ($10 for both) . I would love to see a bit of instructions on how to use the monogrammer. Lol of course i dont have the machine that goes with them... that could become an issue. Ha!

I found this buttonhole video but its not my attachment. Hmmm ...

http://www.briansews.com/2011/06/built-for-buttonholes.html http://www.briansews.com/2011/06/bui...ttonholes.html