Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 repair >

Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 repair

Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 repair

Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 repair

I was so thrilled to find, not one but two!, blue and chrome Morse 4400 on Craigslist for $25. Long story on the history of the machine. One was said to need a tune-up, and one is for parts. I have not attempted to plug in either, the parts machine came with a bag of parts that had already been removed (I can see the needlebar, presser bar, nose piece, lid and assorted bits and screws) but both have Morse motors. Here is the thing, both are frozen at the buttonhole selector. The "beauty" machine is also frozen at the stitch selector and the reverse button is not in the right position. I have taken the lids off and set up side by side to oil and compare action. Although I have the manual and an exploded parts sheet, I am still doing a lot of guessing. I now have the stitch selector and buttonhole rachet moving on the good machine (using lots of oil and a little PB50). Got some Tri-flow in today and oiled moving parts sparingly, mostly on parts machine. Here is the initial picture of Beauty showing the reverse button locked in and the buttonhole lever in the wrong position (discovered that both selection levers work as rachets):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565238[/ATTACH]
Here are my questions:
The main stitch cam is covered with shiny brown goo. Is this grease? should there be grease on a stitch cam? If not grease, could it be break down from contact with oil?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565239[/ATTACH]
and here is a picture of the same cam from the Beast:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565240[/ATTACH]
Has anyone had a functional Morse with such a badly cracked cam?
Of course, my fantasy is to get both machines up and running. So far, I don't see parts that need to be replaced on Beauty, but I haven't gotten down to where the spring is on the reverse lever to determine if that is why reverse is not engaging properly.
This is scary! But I don't have a lot invested and I am documenting as I go, so it is worth a shot!!
I would love any advice or input.
Attached Thumbnails start-medium-.jpg   p1020682.jpg   p1020683.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if a machinist could copy the good cam twice ffor you.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:19 AM

I was wondering about duplicating the cams with a 3D printer, but didn't consider a machinist. I wonder where I would find one, what material to use, and how expensive? That is a thought though.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

If you think you can get it out send it off and then get it back in and make it work, there is a guy over on Victoriansweatshop forum who might make a new camstack out of aluminum. His name is farmerjohn
Old 01-08-2017, 06:04 PM

Ooo! Thanks for the tip! The Beast is still frozen rock solid in his buttonhole selector, so if I have to disassemble to get to those parts I can practice removing and replacing the cam before I try it on the good cam off Beauty.

Do you think I should clean off the goo? Do I need to have lubrication on the cam other than the shaft?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:18 AM
Power Poster

I took a dial apart once. Most probably it is not in the dial at all. Dials don't do much other than try to turn parts that are gummy. You will need to oil every single moving part you can find - trace from the dial all through the machine. Give it oil. Turn it on every side and run it or turn what ever turns. I would use a little denatured alcohol or kerosene to remove dried on grime - keep off the plastic parts with solvents. Then reoil so it doesn't rust.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:28 PM

All selectors now functional! I don't know if the miracle is due to Tri-flow or setting the Beast on his back overnight, then on his face for a day, but whatever I'm a believer! Last night as I contemplated removing the whole buttonhole selector assembly I decided to just remove the stop spring from the feed control cam and gently jiggle the cam with pliars. It moved! So I went back to the ratchet lever and behold! The whole selector went through all the steps of making buttonholes. Now I have to figure out why Beauty only sews straight stitch when she is on zigzag selections. That is with handwheel only as I haven't checked out motors yet.[ATTACH=CONFIG]565345[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2017-01-09-15.19.40.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Hooray for you. Patience and tinkering often pay off. Thanks for the pics for the next person, too.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Did you ever get anyone to help you? I am currently rebuilding machines. Let me know. Mike
Old 05-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Zig zag pistons might still be gummed up. When you push on the needle bar side to side note its path and give it the treatment you gave the other parts.

Mike we aren't allowed to solicit for work here. Some of the members do repairs etc but we get our hands smacked a lot of we hint that we might have something going on. Then again if you use all capital letters when you post you can get your hands smacked for that... Ask me how I know.