Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Morse Lightweight Joining the Herd >

Morse Lightweight Joining the Herd

Morse Lightweight Joining the Herd

Old 03-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Of course I didn't scroll down far enough before posting previous comment
Old 03-18-2014, 02:26 PM

After the first cleaning
I just used Goop waterless hand cleaner and it really got the gunk off the machine quite nicely. Some of it I wiped on and let sit for maybe a minute...I am not known for my patience...and with a microfiber cloth there was only a few areas that needed some extra attention. I then used a clean dry cloth and wiped off the whole machine.
So here she is I think her name will be Maeve...an Irish name for a pretty green Morse added to the herd on St Patty's day!
Attached Thumbnails dscf0173.jpg   dscf0179.jpg   dscf0180.jpg   dscf0181.jpg   dscf0186.jpg  

Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM

A couple of things that I noticed as I cleaned...she has no light built in...you can drop the feed dogs with those two white buttons on the front below the stitch length dial...the foot controller plug into the case and then the cord goes out of the box to the wall for power.
I took my life in my hands and plugged her in and voila she runs like a top. I haven't threaded her up and stitched yet but I am pretty dang happy with my $25 investment!
She measures 14 inches long and about 7 inches of working area from the needle to the post
Thanks for looking

Last edited by Cathieinut; 03-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks so much NapaJohn for the information.
I love the advert that is included in the info as I see that my machine must have been introduced in 1957 and is an aluminum alloy and is supposed to have a light...hum?
I am still hoping to find a manual and glad to know that the class 15 bobbins are the ones that are needed...easy to find at least.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Hi Cathie.

Your machine pics could be posted on this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207877.html

You'll probably see similar machines to yours there.

It looks like your machine does have a light. On the left side of the machine, over the bobbin plate, it looks like there is a button sticking out. That should be the light switch. The light is in the door that would open to oil the needlebar. That hump sticking out is to make room for the light. It should be at the bottom of the door. Could be burnt out or there might not be a bulb...or bad wiring.

If this is unclear, I could take pictures of mine (which is the fancier zigzag version called a Fotomatic but whose bones look a lot like yours) and post so you can see.

The button labeled S-E is probably for Silk-Embroidery and N is for Normal. You can see if you can depress S-E halfway which would likely work on lightweight fabrics. My Morse Fotomatic worked pretty well for FMQ but the thread kept breaking, which might be a rough edge on bobbin plate I haven't yet pursued. Made nice stitches, though. Also, if you want more control for something like that, you can switch the foot controller out with an electronic controller.

Let me know if you need pics.

Good luck,

John
Old 03-18-2014, 04:50 PM

LOL John yep after a bit more inspection I did find the light...I will try the switch when I plug it in again and try winding a bobbin and stitch