Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: MW 7 Jewel is now complete w/ cams

MW 7 Jewel is now complete w/ cams

A couple weeks a go I put an add in the Looking For section looking for a needle in a haystack. Well thanks to forum member Glory we have them.
    I wanted a set of cams for our 50s or 60s vintage Montgomery Ward 7 Jewel machine.

We got the cams this morning and checked them for fit. They fit perfectly. We didn't have time to test any of the cams but I took this pic of our now complete machine:

Once home from our road trip today we tested this machine as well as a Singer 338 we also bought. But that is for a different thread.

The 7 Jewel lived up to it's name. Quietly and smoothly making pretty stitches.
    Here's a pic my wife took of me testing one of the cams:

And here we are, all done. All cams tested and all worked perfectly:

Now other than a few special presser feet and accessories our machine is complete.

Glory, thanks very much.

Joe

Congrats on finding the cams! Happy sewing!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

My father worked 2-3 jobs, including Montgomery Wards. I think one of my sisters has the sewing machine he bought Mom to make our clothes- a necessity with 6 children. I don't recall any cams. Your machine is lovely, and brings back memories for me.

Blog Entries
    Nice!! Glad you found them!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Neat. I've never seen cams that sit on the top like that.

Neither had I until we got this machine. We kept looking at the drive gear on top and it finally dawned on us it couldn't be anything but cams that go there.

Simple, very simple.

Joe

Joe, That looks just like my old machine. So glad that you can use them. Now I know why I could never get rid of the cams, even though my machine had bitten the dust. Beautiful stitching. They live on !!!!!!!!!!
    Gloria

Gloria,

Me, my wife, and Jewel ( That's my shortened name for her ) thank you profusely for those cams. I enjoyed playing with them and seeing what patterns they made.

I just have one question. In the pictures it looks as if there was a chromed disk that might have been a decorative cover for the machine when not using the cams. And in the little box you sent, there was room for one more.
    Do you remember if there was another cam or cover?

Joe

any ideas appreciated

I just received this sewing machine as a gift and have no idea how to use it. Does anyone know where I can get a manual for it. Also I need to purchase a foot pedal and I guess cams now too.. Sorry to be a pain, I'm new to this...

Tinny,

Welcome to the forum.

We've had our 7 Jewel about 3 months now. Until Glory sent us the cams we'd not seen a single one anywhere.
    They've got to be out there, but I doubt they will be easy to find. Our local sewing machine guy said he had a set, but never came up with them.

You can get a manual at Relics: http://www.sewing-machine-manuals.com/
    They can be had in a download for $10.00 or a very nicely done book type for $17.00.
    We got the book style. Here is the direct link to that:
    http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals....923945554.html

You can get a foot controller at Sew-Classic: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Foot-Con...TAL-SCE507.htm
    and
    if needed a replacement cord block set: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Cord-Set...143-SCE143.htm
    can also be purchased.
    If you want Sew-Classics will wire them together for you.
    If you look at my photos above you can see the compartment to the right of the machine where the cord block is screwed to the box bottom. If you buy a new one you'll need to drill one small hole in the middle of the bottom of the cord block for the screw. No big deal. The cord block is marked for the motor and light plugs.

It uses class 15 bobbins, 15X1 needles, and both are very common. They can be purchased just about anywhere.
    The vertical lever is the stitch length, the horizontal is the stitch width. The machine will do zigzag stitches with the horizontal lever anywhere to the left of zero. The two little tabs are locks to hold the lever in position. To set and release the tabs turn the knurled knob to the loosen the lever. The same applies to the stitch length. The big round knob to the left of the serial number or by the arch is for raising and lowering the feed dogs. When it is in the dropped position you can do free motion sewing.

Joe and Elaine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast