My 403 will sew...

Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 PM

Default My 403 will sew...

...with the needle in backwards. But, not very well. Changed from size 11 to size 14 to accommodate a heavier thread as I was sewing heavier material. A knocking developed. Thought the material was too tough for the machine, which to this point I've never had happen. The pounding indicated something was amiss. Checked all normal things, loose bobbin threads, tension and even oiled some critical points. Decided it may be the needle. It was. The darn thing was in backwards. About the time you think you know how to ride a motorcycle it'll prove you wrong. That was my father's favorite saying meaning "pay attention at all times, the consequences are not so good." Just about the time I think I know all needed to sew, I find I don't. Pay attention at all times, Ron.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:08 AM

Exactly. Sometimes the things that are seemingly obvious and routine can trip me up. I’ve got machines that take their needle in all directions except the one you mentioned. I end up getting them in wrong more times than I’d like.

I was setting on my motorcycle with the motor running one day a couple of weeks ago at the shop. I’ve been riding this same motorcycle regularly for over ten years. I was sure that I still had it in neutral, so I released the clutch lever. It was in 2nd gear, and yes, my neutral indicator works. I just didn’t look at it to check for sure. The action killed the motor quick enough that I didn’t go down, but I sure got a wake-up call.

CD in Oklahoma