Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: In my basement (continued)

Blog Entries

In my basement (continued)

Had a request for more photos; also, I've been searching the web trying to learn more. Have The Free treadle sewing machine with a #C184823 (s/n, I think) and know from the lettering on top of machine that it was made in a company from Rockford Il. (the web let me down, didn't get much info). Anybody know much about this company / machine? Thank's, in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    Mavis

I kinda wanted to see the cabinet,, free was a biggy

The one's I see for sale have the big price tag on them...

so you really didn't know it was there ?

Blog Entries
    Oh, I knew he had an old treadle machine, but until last Labor Day weekend I had not entered the world of quilting. Even then it took me quite some time to learn how valued old machines are. Now I realize what a treasure it is. Sorry I didn't snap any photos of the whole cabinet; try to get that done tomorrow.
    Mavis

I haven't done any research on mine either, but being from Rockford, I have to wonder if it was made by Elgin. Mine was advertised as being a Free Westinghouse, but there's nothing on mine (or yours that I see) to indicate Westinghouse.

I admit the 10.00 price plus the fact that I loved the peacock decals was what sold me on mine lol! I'm kinda taking my machines one at a time to try and research and restore, so when I get to this one I'll be sure to share anything I can find.

Looking forward to tomorrow Love to see the cabinet.

The Westinghouse designation probably came into play once electricity entered the picture. Westinghouse most likely made the motors for the electric machines hence the Free Westinghouse name. Or not.

Blog Entries

free #5

I didn't find alot of info on mine either...mine was made in Freeport IL, if I remember correctly. Mine was a parlor cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    HisPatchwork