Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Birthday Present to myself!!

Happy Birthday, Kittywolf13!! Isn't it fun to buy yourself your birthday present? I bought sewing machines this year for mine...... so gratifying. Anyway, congrats on the FW. I have 3 and love them all (I've said that so many times). They are wonderful machines and will work so well for you. And, they are so cute and pretty!!

It sounds like you have gotten some great advice so I'll just add, ..... sew with her and enjoy her. They love working more than sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    I love the 1951 anniversary badge on this machine- I have two others with that badge and I think it is quite attractive.
    I always take the faceplate knob off when I put mine in her case, as otherwise the bed will get scratched. Anyone made a felt sleeve or something for the bed?
    I place a piece of bubble wrap between the faceplate and the fold up bed. Not very elegant but works.
    Sweet Caroline

The most excellent birthday present.
    Sweet Caroline

nls
    Happy Birthday--great gift!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    I place a piece of bubble wrap between the faceplate and the fold up bed. Not very elegant but works.
    I put a silicone bumper on mine. One of those dots that you stick to rulers to make them non slip. It works perfectly.

Oh so much good advice!! the screws fit next to the throat plate but I didn't think to look in the front plate? I will have to look again. Hahaha. Also I need to change out the drip pan thing and put something in the case. The first thing I smelled when I woke up was my machine. Hahaha! Not that it was bad really. A rinsed that it wasn't a dream. Also thank you for the birthday wishes!
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle
    Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight
    my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758
    Flower, Brother XR 6060
    1910 Singer 66
    Singer 99K
    Shadow, 1929 Singer 128 (currently w/hand crank)

Happy Birthday....you'll always remember this one, and love that machine. You can get 221 bobbins at JoAnn's too usually if you check the "singer" packages...check out the small print. I think I have even gotten some at Walmart.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines
    Colleen S.

Congrats on your little beauty!! Happy Birthday to you!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by misskira View Post
    For cleaning I follow this tutorial:
    http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/20...herweight.html

The Scratchx is nice if there is residue from someone smoking or something dropped and dried on it. The oxy was amazing for the shiny bits, and the car wax protects the finish and helps the fabric glide across the bed.

Shes a beauty, I hope you enjoy her! I also recommend Dave's book.
    I have never heard of Scratch X, is it safe for the decals?
    Thank you

i wouldn't use the scratch-remover on the decals or chrome or nickel parts. i'd be afraid it would damage the metal. on those i bought Simichrome polish at my local hardware store. it shines them up beautifully and won't hurt anything.

one little trick that i picked up somewhere here was to use cotton string, just an ordinary white soft string, to help polish the round parts. cut a long piece, and double or quadruple it up so it's wider and put a dab of the polish on it. then wrap it around parts like the needle shaft, criss-crossing over the front and see-saw the string back and forth. as it gets black, move to a new section of string and another dab of polish. that worked great for me. i also used old t-shirts for polishing rags.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast