Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine >

My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine

My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 AM

My husband's dear aunt had this little beauty tucked away and recently asked if anyone in the family was interested. My hubby and his sisters all said "No thank you." :shock:
I told DH to correct that impression before his aunt gave it away to the local historical society. Our two girls were very interested indeed! They both value ties to the past and our eldest, Bean, did not have a sewing machine. Turned out Bean was VERY excited about this.

So yesterday my two sweet SILs brought the Sew-EZ to our house. Even though the machine is in great condition, I hardly know what to do next. My one SIL was a home-ec teacher and she tested the machine and it works! She sewed two inches before stopping since the machine surely needs cleaning and oiling. The electrical cord is amazing for one that is close to 100 years old, but I cannot think it is safe.

Our Bean and her boyfriend are coming home for a visit this weekend. I don't know if I can get the machine shaped up in time, but it sure would be good for her to be able to take it home while they have a rental car. (Normally she flies, but her arms were too tired. :roll: )

There is hardly any information about this machine out on the internet. So I am sending out an SOS to all you vintage machine enthusiasts and am hoping you can point me in the right direction. Ours has no manual, or accessories, except 2 bobbins. And I am very leery about the power cord, but don't know how to replace it. We don't know for sure even what model this is, but it has two spool posts and only does a straight stitch. Meanwhile, I have been pouring over Billy's tutorial about how to take apart and clean your vintage machine. Not sure I have have the guts to do the "Taking apart" part of that!

Here is what little I found on the internet:
The Western Electric sewing machine was not made by Western Electric, but by the National Sewing Machine Company, Belvedere, Ill., which put Western Electric decals on one of their models.
The electric motor, however, was produced by Western Electric. Production lasted only a few years; the machine disappeared from the market by 1918.
I also found a number of amusing vintage advertisements about this machine.
Ours does not have a vibrating shuttle, but a bobbin case and bobbins. It came in a beautiful, curved quarter sawn oak case.
Here are a lot of pictures. Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248487.jpe   attachment-248488.jpe   attachment-248489.jpe   attachment-248490.jpe   attachment-248491.jpe  

attachment-248492.jpe   attachment-248493.jpe   attachment-248494.jpe   attachment-248497.jpe  
Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

It's gorgeous
Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 AM

This is a beautiful machine. I sew want a vintage machine.Such a keepsake for your family.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM

That is a great machine and in such great condition. she is one lucky girl.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM

It looks to be in mint condition! Bravo for speaking up!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 AM

That's a beautiful machine. I'm surprised it's made by National. I thought all of theirs had the round access panel in the front. Can you have the electics checked at a machine shop? Old electric motors are much simpler than modern ones with less to go wrong, but I'd want it looked at because some parts do dry out.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Much better for such a beautiful machine to stay in the family. Well done!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Beautiful machine! How fortunate to keep it loved in the family. Is there a photo of great grandma sewing on it? Would be wonderful to at least have a photo of her to pass along with her machine.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 AM

A beautiful family treasure. I'm sure the aunt is pleased it will stay in the family. Lucky daughter.
Judy
Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 AM

Wow, I can't believe the wonderful condition of this machine given its age. What a wonderful thing to keep in the family! :thumbup: