Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My disease is flaring up again, plese help. >

My disease is flaring up again, plese help.

My disease is flaring up again, plese help.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 AM

Default My disease is flaring up again, plese help.

My Machinus Mustus Rescuitus was in remission for a short while, but I just noticed this ad. I need it like I need another sewing machine (!) but, I have heard these Necchis are magical.

Can anyone tell me what accessories it should come with, if it were complete? And if it does not have those accessories, how useless does the machine become? And finally, how much effort would it be to motorize it (sorry Steve) if I do not like the treadle action? Is it simply a question of stapling on a modern standard motor? (By modern, I mean one from a 1950s stitcher that I would already have around here...)

Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 AM

I am pretty sure it takes cams! Ooooohh it's one of the ones on my list.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 AM

That's nice. Joey likey! I love that cabinet too. Give the treadle a chance, with a machine like that it might just surprise you.

Joe
Old 06-09-2014, 06:30 AM

That machine would tempt me, too....nice going.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 AM

A Necchi supernova is on my want list too - if it was Pink it's be perfect LOL!! Though the only reason I want one is because of that round rotating needle plate.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Necchis are really nice machines. If a Supernova has been sitting for a while, they are notorious for being stuck. Mine was the "most-stuck" machine I've acquired but with a little work it now runs beautifully. Apparently, the tolerances are so tight with Necchis that they require more frequent oiling than other machines. I know I can hear when my Necchi BU is ready for oil and it quiets down after it gets a drink (but even when it's thristy it's pretty quiet).

First, in looking at the picture, I would want to know if the "lid" is missing from that cabinet as that would be the work surface and wouldn't look as nice closed if it is missing. Otherwise, it's lovely.

I would definitely ask about the motor, accessories and foot controller as they would add to the expense. The motor might still be in it and I'd want to know if it worked. You would not be able to add a different type of motor on the back of the machine as the motor is behind the plate under that handwheel. It's also a tight fight in there and takes an odd belt which is reportedly tricky to change (I haven't had to change mine yet). There are discussions about the belt on the necchisewingmachineclub yahoo group. They also have user's manuals and service manuals for download if you need one.

Sewclassic does have a replacement cord for the Supernova and any foot controller would work.

It should have a box of cams and feet (which are high shank and industrial feet can be used). Here are a couple of examples of what the box and cams look like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NECC...item232ce52c8b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Necc...item2336d1cfd9

What I found interesting about the cams is that there are some "pre-built" cams for decorative stitches (and a buttonhole stitch) but you can also build other stitches with separate discs. The lid of the box has a wheel that turns and displays the settings and discs needed for different stitches. The nice side of the design is formed by the bobbin thread so you would sew with right side down to get the nicest effect. I wouldn't want to try to treadle one of those designs unless I were used to running marathons. Also be aware that there are different sets of cams, not all fit. There are lists on the yahoo group of which cams fit which series of machines.

How complete the set-up would affect how much I'd be willing to pay. Mine was missing a controller/cord which was easy to replace and a couple of cams were missing. I also got lucky in finding an accessory box in an assorted lot on shopgoodwill which was complete. The cam boxes can be pricey at auction.

Without the cams, you would have a nice zigzag machine. I've seen people report that they love to FMQ on the Supernova, but I can't seem to get my feed dogs to stay dropped (which may be due to operator error).

YMMV

John
Old 06-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Beautiful cabinet. Rescue it.
Rodney
Old 06-09-2014, 03:37 PM

Hmmmm.

I asked and the seller and they said that they are not sure if it folds down, motor doesn't work but pedal (treadle) does. Comes with the accessory box. He did not say what is in the accessory box... he said his Mom sewed on it until last month.

So, I know it is meant to fold down, but the question is (Napa John) whether the nice lid is there. Cannot quite tell from the photo.

The bit about the motor not working - I wonder if it is fixable... or not! Or Napa John was suggesting that a motor might not actually even be in it? Maybe there is no motor. Maybe the motor is there but just not wired up. Who knows...

It is a fair hike away and would involve renting a car in order to get it, so I am kinda mixed. I am willing to try a treadle but if I don't like the treadling I would like the option I suppose to motor it.

Thank you for all the input, esp. Napa John, your answers were really helpful. If any of you other enablers care to chime in... ;-)

Dang, this addiction is killer.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by NapaJohn View Post
Without the cams, you would have a nice zigzag machine. I've seen people report that they love to FMQ on the Supernova, but I can't seem to get my feed dogs to stay dropped (which may be due to operator error).

YMMV

John
More than likely, the mechanism is just stuck. It took quite a bit of oil, a lot of cajoling, and some swearing to get mine unstuck.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Wish I can help you with your sickness. I guess we all need help, right? Is there such a thing as SMA, sewing machine anonymous?