Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My early Christmas present Minnesota B treadle >

My early Christmas present Minnesota B treadle

My early Christmas present Minnesota B treadle

Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 PM

Kathy, that's a beautiful machine and the cabinet is spectacular! I'm glad Jon sent you a manual -- the only place I knew of to get one is at Relics and they're not free! Ask me how I know -- I downloaded one for my cousin's machine I'm working on!

Congrats on your machine!

Jeanette
Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM

Joe, thank you for your oiling instructions. I had forgotten about the felt "wick" -- it was missing from the Minnesota A I'm working on for my cousin -- I didn't have any proper felt, but I used a couple of thicknesses of cotton batting which worked very well! Thanks.

Jeanette
Old 12-16-2014, 08:15 AM

I love reading about these old machines, but some of the posts have term with which I am not familiar. Someday I might learn what all these things mean. I'm learning a lot here. Thanks everybody.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I love reading about these old machines, but some of the posts have term with which I am not familiar. Someday I might learn what all these things mean. I'm learning a lot here. Thanks everybody.
The best chance of that happening it to ask what they mean. Really really, we like questions. The only "dumb" question is the one that you do not ask, so by asking the question it is automatically no longer dumb... hehe
Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Jeanette, I have tons of felt. My wife and I use it for lots of things. I just took a scrap and rolled it into a small roll then cut it to length and pushed it down into the hole. Poured it full of oil and started sewing. Most any material that will hold the oil but allow it to seep out through the hole should work fine though. Joe
Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
....Most any material that will hold the oil but allow it to seep out through the hole should work fine though. Joe
I found what looked like a piece of cigarette filter in one machine. It appeared to have worked just fine.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Kathy,
Merry Xmas! What a lovely gift and I am sure you will have lots of fun with her. The cabinet is spectacular and I am amazed at your luck in getting so many "extras". Kudos to your husband!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:44 PM

That is pretty, pretty, pretty...Merry Christmas ...what does DH get??
Old 12-16-2014, 05:54 PM

Joe, the cotton batting I had seems to have worked. The machine is quieter than it was, although it was far from noisy! I had completely forgotten about this wick -- Especially since there was nothing in the orifice where the wick is supposed to be! Anyway, thanks for the tips, all of you -- they're appreciated greatly!

Jeanette
Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The best chance of that happening it to ask what they mean. Really really, we like questions. The only "dumb" question is the one that you do not ask, so by asking the question it is automatically no longer dumb... hehe
Well, I re-read the part about the drilled hole and the cross drilled hole and figured it out and why it would be there. My 128 had what looked like lint in that hole. I don't have the machine here right now, but I will fill it with felt or batt.
The treadle machine that I just got has the needle with just a round shaft, so I have to figure out which way to orient it. I don't like that, but if it gets fixed, it may work better than it did the last time I used it.

And thanks everybody for all the good information.

Last edited by maviskw; 12-16-2014 at 09:55 PM.