Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My find-Franklin Kenmore 81748 >

My find-Franklin Kenmore 81748

My find-Franklin Kenmore 81748

Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Default My find-Franklin Kenmore 81748

OK, I have found another vintage sewing machine, this time it is a Franklin, I know it is a Kenmore, but it is an exact copy of the Singer 127. I am in need for the front bobbin cover or front shuttle slide as it is called. It was an old treadle but has been modified to use electric. It sews but can't wind bobbins for the belt don't match up with the bobbin winder. I am going to have to try to figure out how to wind the bobbins. It is in great shape, I have cleaned it up best I could. I am afraid to do much with the decals. I have oiled it good and cleaned it up since the Pic's. These Pic's show it as I got it. The number 81748 is under the front part of the machine. I am posting Pic's of it as well. If anyone has any input please let me know, Granny
Attached Thumbnails debi-before-i-cleaned-her-up-copy.jpg   just-got-her-home-copy.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 12:27 PM

What a shame that they removed the treadle. But, it sure is a beautiful cabinet and the decals are lovely!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Nice machine, great scarab decals.

I think I've seen some modifications to former treadles where they've run a belt directly from the bobbin winder to the motor, either by attaching (welding?) another pulley to the motor or by having a separate belt just for winding the bobbin. Although if this is a friction drive (no belt), the second option wouldn't work. I can't quite remember where I saw this though.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Wow! That is in good shape. The cabinet is gorgeous, too!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
What a shame that they removed the treadle. But, it sure is a beautiful cabinet and the decals are lovely!
@thepolyparrot, I wish I had the parts to put it back to treadle, Not sure who did this but the lady I bought it from had not a clue. I figure She was collecting at the time and just did not know much about it. I have ordered a front slider plate for Her and am now trying to figure out how to wind bobbin. I had thought about using a another motor for the bobbin winding as Bennett had stated. Not sure yet but it is too good not to try to solve the problem. I have cleaned Her up some but can't do much more to the decals, don't want to ruin them.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Finally figured out where I saw the workaround someone had done, good old Wikipedia! It was on a Singer machine, so not a friction drive, but it might give you some ideas.

From Wikipedia info on Singer 27/28 machines.

Also, thanks for this thread because my search also found me some info I'd been looking for on one of my own White machines (namely, how to remove/switch the handwheel). Made my day!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM

Default where to order parts

I have the same machine, but mine is still a treadle. I just found it at an auction and would very much like to restore and use it. Mine too has a broken front slider plate like yours. Maybe this is a common problem??? Where did you order the replacement? I am having a heckuva time trying to find the parts. I find all kinds of Singer parts but not the Franklins. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
@thepolyparrot, I wish I had the parts to put it back to treadle, Not sure who did this but the lady I bought it from had not a clue. I figure She was collecting at the time and just did not know much about it. I have ordered a front slider plate for Her and am now trying to figure out how to wind bobbin. I had thought about using a another motor for the bobbin winding as Bennett had stated. Not sure yet but it is too good not to try to solve the problem. I have cleaned Her up some but can't do much more to the decals, don't want to ruin them.