Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My first 2014 Thrift Store Escapade >

My first 2014 Thrift Store Escapade

My first 2014 Thrift Store Escapade

Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM

Default My first 2014 Thrift Store Escapade

Hubby and I wanted a "play Day" on Friday 3rd. We start by going out for our favorite breakfast, then go to our favorite stores and thrift shops and flea markets. The first flea market yielded nothing. The second flea market we picked up a nice oil painting, pair of earrings, hand carved African animal necklace circa 70's.

At the next shop I saw about 7 sewing machines without cases sitting outside but one had a plastic case and it looked 60's or maybe 70's to me. Was filthy as you can see in the photo but I decided to peek inside, nice looking machine so I bought it for $5.00. It is a Wards Signature J1277 prized for its buttonholing capabilities

At a third place we like to go I found an old manual typewriter. I know almost nothing about them but have decided to try my hand at writing and wanted a manual. Hubby said get an Olympia so there it was. $10.00 It has a neat wood case I plan to pretty up and it really needs cleaned, oiled, I need a manual, does this sound familiar? So I am off to find a typewriter forum so I can refurbish it, write books and become rich and famous!!!

We went to a new place but they were closing their doors and that was the last day they were open. They had a monster sewing desk, not a table but a big desk. Solid wood with maybe thin veneer? It weighed a ton. I offered her forty for the machine and all of the goodies in the desk and told her she could keep the desk because hubby and I had no way to lift it or move it around, Do you know she grabbed two male customers and her husband that was in the back of the shop and they loaded it into my truck!!
She said I have to have everything out tonight so it is yours now...
I really didn't want it. Hubby and I have no room for it, and it is still sitting in the back of the truck!
In it was a really nice Touch and Sew with lots of cams and drawers full of goodies like a slant walking foot, a new quilt calculator, and it was worth it for the machine and all of the drawer goodies but now I have that monster sewing desk in my truck. I really like the desk though, I have tried every which way I know to fit it into my home somwhere it but it just isn't going to work out.

If anyone can get up here today or tomorrow it's yours. You will need two gorillas and a baboon to move it. YES! it is that heavy. OR, Since I already have it in my truck if you pay for my gas I could meet you at Granzellas if you're coming from Sac or Bay area or Oregon I can go the other way and meet you in Weed. I will post pics of the desk in a reply to my OP

What a fun way to start the New Year and maybe pay it forward at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails img_5233.jpg   img_5234.jpg   img_5235.jpg   img_5237.jpg   img_5238.jpg  

Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 AM

Default Here are the pictures of the desk

My truck has a 6' bed on it. I think the desk was 51 X 21 or there abouts. The machine that was in it was a Singer Touch and sew. There was also several Brother manuals in the drawers. I know the Touch and sew fits perfectly. The Knee pedal is still attached and it has the place to slide in the foot pedal so the knee pedal presses onto it.
Attached Thumbnails img_5240.jpg   img_5241.jpg   img_5243.jpg   img_5244.jpg   img_5245.jpg  

img_5246.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Is there room for the desk in your garage? I can see you sitting at the desk this summer writing the next great American novel on your Olympia, with the garage door up to enjoy the outdoors. That Singer Touch and Sew looks like one I used to own.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:41 AM

I wish! I have four storage sheds on the property and a cargo trailer that is currently full up with all of my other sewing machines and tables. Garage is stuffed right now too. Phooey!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Your story made me laugh, so don't give up on that writing thing :-) It does look like a very nice desk and hopefully you can find someone to give it a new home.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Wow, that is a nice desk!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61 View Post
Your story made me laugh, so don't give up on that writing thing :-) It does look like a very nice desk and hopefully you can find someone to give it a new home.
Thanks for those encouraging words.

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Wow, that is a nice desk!
It is nice desk isn't it?. Just super heavy. Looks like my mother's old Mediterranean furniture. LOL I hope someone wants it from this forum but if not I will take it to a local dealer and let him sell it, he has given me some good bargains in the past so I won't mind at all returning the favor.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Wow, I sure wished I lived closer, I'd take that desk in a heartbeat, but I'm sure you'll find someone who will want it.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 PM

I've got two manual typewriters and an IBM Selectric. Try using Tri-Flow on the linkage. I'm going to.

My wife and I would take that desk from you in a heartbeat. We'd made a place for it and stick either our 401a or one of our 500s in it. She all but drooled on the key board looking at your pics. Unfortunately we're a bit too far away.
Just don't leave it out in the weather to be destroyed. It's too good a unit for that.

Joe
Old 01-05-2014, 12:35 PM

It's a great desk. Only two problems for me. I'm too far away and don't have the room either. I wish I could make it work though.
Rodney