Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My first day with white FR Treadle >

My first day with white FR Treadle

My first day with white FR Treadle

Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Default My first day with white FR Treadle

So easy. My biggest enlightenment was to realize one does not have to turn the hand wheel several times to get started. The Youtube videos and articles show turning the wheel until can get feet treadle to maintain the direction. Much easier to be sure the treadle base is pressed all the way down at the back of the base. (Tie side)Then push down on the front end bench side) and keep treadling. Hand wheel just kicks in going correct direction. So much surer for me than hand turning/spinning to get started.

The clanking of the pitman was minor but enough to get on my nerves but figured a certain touch/pressure and rhythm eliminates it. Problem is I am not consistent yet to say goodbye to clanking all together.

Have been able to thread bobbin and insert twice but have not dared unthread upper threads as I really can't understand that yet to repeat.

Tension is perfect. It was off for a while and found the upper thread was not in the little loop just top of needle. I moved the tension up and down the dial quite a bit and was able to easily get to perfect tension. Important piece I read, after it looking like setting tension was not working, is must have pressed foot down when adjust tension.

Studying the treadle I was surprised to see bearings in the top side of the pitman rod(think that is what it is called) and wonder if should replace and if that would help clanking?

With the right rhythm, this thing goes very fast. Almost too fast.

I find it easy to treadle with one foot but insisting on two. Want equal workout for both legs.

If I could stop speed sewing long strips of fabric I could successfully make quilt blocks. But I am having too much fun. Up and down the fabric I go. . . .
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 AM

There may be an adjustment to stop the clanking. I know the wooden Singer ones can be adjusted to take up the slack, no experience with White though. Can you take pictures of the top and bottom of the pitman arm?

It's very cool you're having fun with it.
Rodney
Old 08-31-2014, 10:40 AM

I'm envious! I need someone to help me treadle! bought them from a friend of a friend I dont' see any more - not enemies just dont see her since she lives in a different town and doesn't come this way as often
Old 08-31-2014, 10:53 AM

Susanna, where do you live? If you don't want to say the city, a region might be helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a member near you who could help.
Rodney
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM

I'm southwest Houston Rodney. I pm'd a friend who knows the woman I bought mine from. Still messing with my other machines and the house so want to get stuff situated first. Surely there are treadle fans in my area!