Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My first project a "Singer 99" >

My first project a "Singer 99"

My first project a "Singer 99"

Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Default My first project a "Singer 99"

I picked up this 99 recently (before I found the 201) on CL. It was the cheapest and closest to my house so I bought it. The slide plate was missing but the machine did work. The wiring is not original and has been rewired and looked good. There was no rust and didn't need too much cleaning at all. An easy first project for 30 bucks. I do not have before pictures. I know better now.

Once I got it home I found some other problems when actually trying to sew on it. The machine wobbled when sewing. Upon closer inspection I found the reason for the wobbling. In the right hand corner one of the pieces of wood inside the case was missing. I cut a piece of wood and glued it to the corner and stopped the wobbling.

Another problem was the tension. I could not get the top thread to eliminate the loops. I made it worse when I tried to adjust the it and couldn't get it right no matter which way I turned. Took it apart and found the spring smashed and twisted way inside. I had to pull with pliers and then go in with a small pair of cutters to cut the rest of the spring that was stuck inside.
The third problem I had was the bobbin winder. Decided to take it apart to clean and when doing so I found it had been put together incorrectly. Also found the spring that keeps the winder up when sewing was missing. I was able to get the nut off the back of the wheel but could not get the screw out. Let it soak for two days and still nothing.
So I cleaned and put it back together with a new wheel but the winder would come down and hit the balance wheel. I think they may have intentionally put it together incorrectly to keep the wheel from coming down.

Here is what I did to solve the bobbin winder from coming down and staying in winder mode at least temporarily. I took a small paper clip and looking at the picture of the spring I wrapped the paper clip around a screwdriver and wrapped it around a few times. I used a small jewelery needle nose pliers to shape pin on each end. The first one I made was too small. I got something a little fatter and another paper clip. This one was a good fit. I screwed the bobbin winder back on and to my surprise it stays up. I was tickled pink.

I ordered a slide plate and tension spring from sew-classic. I have learned so much and I am not done yet. I haven't tackled the feed dogs and the bobbin case yet. Wanted to sew a little first in case I mess/break something.
Attached Thumbnails picsart_1411061306207.jpg   picsart_1411060984979.jpg   picsart_1411060812695.jpg   img_20140918_111013.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 AM

looks great.I have a 99 that the case is broken and I am going to make a new oak base for her and have that area on the right so the foot pedal has a place to sit when being carried about.I am really loving playing with vintage machines.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:36 AM

It looks great. I have the same machine. My dh made me a base case for mine too.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01804.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:57 AM

Default n

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
looks great.I have a 99 that the case is broken and I am going to make a new oak base for her and have that area on the right so the foot pedal has a place to sit when being carried about.I am really loving playing with vintage machines.
Nice to have someone that can make a case for you. I don't like my foot pedal. The lever I have to press on is too high and really have to lift my foot too far up and back. I might put a different controller on or make something it can sit on to raise the back.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
It looks great. I have the same machine. My dh made me a base case for mine too.
I love your case. DH did a great job! It looks really nice.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 AM

I've cleaned up my 99 that I just bought a couple of weeks ago. She is also missing that corner block. Things move, but I haven't tried sewing with her yet.

When I posted earlier, someone mentioned that it appeared she had a centennial badge and she does. However, what model is that?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
When I posted earlier, someone mentioned that it appeared she had a centennial badge and she does. However, what model is that?
The centennial badge was used on several models. It was used to mark the Singer 100 year anniversary, 1951, but you'll see it on machines from 1950- 1952 or 1953.

Cari
Old 09-20-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The centennial badge was used on several models. It was used to mark the Singer 100 year anniversary, 1951, but you'll see it on machines from 1950- 1952 or 1953.

Cari
Thanks, but is it a 99-13 or what?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
Thanks, but is it a 99-13 or what?
I don't know, hopefully someone else will jump in here with the answer.

Cari