Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My FW has lost it's tension, Why? >

My FW has lost it's tension, Why?

My FW has lost it's tension, Why?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 AM

Default My FW has lost it's tension, Why?

I have had my FW for over 10 years and it has worked beautifully but this week I noticed loops on the back of my sewing work. The top tension worked off and on. I guess "Frances" will need to go to the FW doctor..
Old 12-04-2015, 06:27 AM

TFSR is one of the best sources for information on fixing old sewing machines.
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
You have something going on with your top tension most likely.
I wouldn't be surprised if it has a bit of gunk caught in it. That or there's a little pin that slides back and forth inside the threaded shaft that sometimes sticks. It could be that.
Don't be afraid to take it apart and clean it yourself. It's not difficult.
Rodney
Old 12-04-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I would take it to someone you can trust.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:33 AM

It isn't difficult to fix the tension dial. Rodney has it right. Either the pin is gunked up, the discs or the spring needs to be replaced. You can do it.
Linda
Old 12-04-2015, 07:07 AM

If it's been working great for 10 years then suddenly it starts messing up it will usually be some foreign debris in the tensions or under the needle plate, or operator error. That last part is easy if you've been using other models of machines and forget the FW threads opposite most other machines.

Give it a thorough cleaning then rethread it from the start, top and bottom and give it a go.

Joe
Old 12-04-2015, 07:30 AM

I agree with Rodney -- this shouldn't be hard to fix yourself. I took apart the top tension on two of my machines. It's entirely possible that the tension release (when you lift the presser foot, the tension should let go on the top thread) is stuck. If you look online or on YouTube (I think ArchaicArcane on this board has posted some things either on her blog, or video, or both) you should be able to find the diagram of the various parts and where they go. When I take the tension apart, I just set each piece aside on a towel in the order that they came off, and in the position they need to be when they go on the tension assembly post. It's not too hard, trust me (if I can do it, anyone can).
Good luck!
Ila
Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Did you put the thread in the needle the right direction or put the needle in backwards?
Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
If you look online or on YouTube (I think ArchaicArcane on this board has posted some things either on her blog, or video, or both)
One should lead to the other. I can't post links or I get censored but there's a clue in my signature. Look for "Fragile Tension" there it should lead to the rebuild videos or even use the search on my site to look for "tension" or "ArchaicArcane" on youtube. There are tons of tutorials on tension in both places because that's the number one bugaboo people have with machines.

On the videos, I rebuild a bigger tensioner so make sure you read the note about featherweight tensioners in the description below the video.