My Husband, the Enabler

Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM

Default My Husband, the Enabler

Howdy y'all 😀

This morning as I was struggling to wake up with some very strong coffee, my husband informed me that we have to get up and be ready to leave the house by 7:15 AM tomorrow. Have I mentioned that I am NOT a morning person? Although I have never been officially diagnosed, I'm convinced that I'm severely allergic to 'early'! When I asked him why on earth we needed to get up so early, he informed me that our local weekly newspaper (hey...we're a small town!) had arrived in the mail, and that one of the ads for yard sales advertised an antique Singer sewing machine! I told him that I don't need anymore machines right now. His only response was, "The yard sale starts at 8:00. If we don't get there by 7:30 it'll be gone!". How can you argue with logic like that?!? 😳

Donna
Old 06-25-2015, 02:47 PM

Did you get there? Did you get the machine? If you did, show us a picture. I'll bet it is a good one.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:41 AM

Lol...he just talked over her question! Lol....wish mine has that much enthusiasm! Hope machine is still there for them to view and purchase if price is right if that's what he wanted
Old 06-26-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

You can't. Just be glad it is NOT a daily habit that you need to deal.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:44 AM

DH and I are heading out the road on an all day excursion - to see what sewing related stuff we can find on the local "Scavenger's Journey" about 90 miles to cover.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:27 AM

Well...I didn't get it. It was a Singer 401A in a nice cabinet, but the first thing the guy told me was, "We looked it up online and they range in price from $300 to $800. So we're asking $250. We'll use it as a table before we just give it away". Of course, when I look it up online myself, $300 was the top price for one in immaculate condition with all attachments and a manual. So I thanked him and told him to enjoy his table, then left. *sigh* we tried a few other yard sales that were advertised, but most of them were nowhere to be found since we had some thunderstorms come through last night. Oh well. I guess I can't expect to find two machines for a total of $50 EVERY weekend! LOL!

Donna
Old 06-26-2015, 05:34 AM

LOL, that guy is probably going to have that "table" for awhile at those prices.

I have yet to find a machine at a yard/garage sale that was reasonably priced. Like you - I keep finding people who have done "research" and "know" that their beat up Singer 66 is a "rare antique" and worth a whole lotta money. I wish them luck! All my local cheap finds have been at charity/thrift shops.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:51 AM

I went into a local thrift store, and when I say thrift, I mean it to say low end. Anyway, they had a lovely, not in perfect condition, 401 in a big desk like cabinet. The first time I went in there, the wife says 150.00 after a lot of thought. It's a consignment piece, so she wants a big price. The next time I go in the husband says 350.00. I told him what his wife said, and he fussed at her about it. Apparently lots of people are researching and deciding that these machines are made of gold. I want one, just not that bad. I have a Featherweight and a 301a, I can be happy with those.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:27 AM

I can't decide if I want values to go up or down. If values go up, that means the machines I have are worth more but I can't buy as many. If they go down, that means I can BUY more but they aren't worth as much! It's sort of a win/win; or a lose/lose, depending on how you look at it!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:32 AM

It seems that people who don't know machines have seen FW prices and now think everything that is black and says Singer on it must be worth a fortune. Some of the prices I see are insane.