My new (!!) Kenmore 117.740

Old 11-30-2014, 12:28 PM

Default My new (!!) Kenmore 117.740

I got this yesterday for $25. It was on Craigslist about a half hour drive away. It had been listed for a month. The listing mentioned that it had to be carried down 2 small flights of stairs and down the front steps which I imagine scared away some buyers. When I read "small flight of stairs", I pictured a skinny steep set of stairs. What he meant was 4 steps in a bi-level house. DH had no problem with it.

It's going to be my dedicated FMQ machine. I cleaned it, oiled it (three times over 24 hours) and it runs fine. (Well...one little issue which I may post about later). It does very well with FMQ. I've been playing today! The cabinet has a spring assist for lifting the machine up and a knee pedal.

The cabinet is beautiful but we had to put it in a dark corner so it just looks like a brown blob. We are quickly running out of space for these machines. (In fact, to make room for this one, my Kenmore 158 left homing machine is going.) The 117 is not pristine, but it's good enough for me. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

So glad I had those tension problems on my other 117. It prompted me to look on Craigslist for another machine for parts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500645[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500646[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500647[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_5566-post.jpg   100_5565-post.jpg   100_5564-post.jpg  
Old 11-30-2014, 12:39 PM

Oh, that's a handsome machine. Have fun!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:47 PM

It's gorgeous! Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:07 AM

That is a nice looking machine, love that "K" emblem
Old 12-01-2014, 11:31 AM

This is interesting. I've not seen a greenish-gold version of the 740. This is another of the Gritzner-Kayser series machines and I believe this one was badged Gritzner, White, Kenmore, Pfaff, and Domestic. The Domestic version is my favorite but the White is also really beautiful. Here's mine (with two missing screws on the front plate):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500796[/ATTACH]

Mine was also in a cabinet with a spring-loaded lift but I removed it because the cabinet is one of those very large desks with long panels that open on both sides.

It's odd you found yours for $25. Mine was $20 and I remember being surprised when I found it (about a year ago). These are very good machines. I suppose people just want them gone.
Attached Thumbnails model117.740.jpg  
Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Wow, love the machine. What is behind the "K" door? Cams?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Wow, love the machine. What is behind the "K" door? Cams?
Yes, that's where the cams go.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 PM

To KenmoreRulesAll:

I'm pretty sure this machine is the Pfaff 239. Yours is immaculate. The green finish on mine is a bit discolored but it doesn't bother me.

Do you use yours? I've done some test sandwiches and this machine will be perfect as my FMQ machine. It does nice work. However, I find servicing the bobbin area a bit of a challenge. I can change the bobbin easy enough but if I want to remove all the guts to brush out the lint, it's quite a production. And I find it very hard to get the shuttle hook seated correctly in particular. Any hints?

Joan
Old 12-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
To KenmoreRulesAll:

I'm pretty sure this machine is the Pfaff 239. Yours is immaculate. The green finish on mine is a bit discolored but it doesn't bother me.

Do you use yours? I've done some test sandwiches and this machine will be perfect as my FMQ machine. It does nice work. However, I find servicing the bobbin area a bit of a challenge. I can change the bobbin easy enough but if I want to remove all the guts to brush out the lint, it's quite a production. And I find it very hard to get the shuttle hook seated correctly in particular. Any hints?

Joan
I wish it were immaculate!

To be honest, I don't use this machine at all. So, I only cleaned it up and oiled it. The machine was fairly clean when I found it. The collar and hook were both rusty (and the bobbin too) but none of the rest of the machine has/had any rust. Very strange. So although the machine runs really well, I've yet to soak those parts in Evaporust and clean them up. It's definitely a long overdue project so your post has reminded me to get on it.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks anyway. I'm sure with time I'll figure an easier way to put the shuttle hook back.