My new Kenmore

Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 AM

Default My new Kenmore

This was waiting at the Post Office for me this morning (we held the mail while out of town as I knew this was going to show up).

Both DH and I wanted a Kenmore like this - and it also has the chainstitch attachment. I'll wait until she's had time to warm up before turning her own. The PO keeps stuff in the back room and it's not all that warm in there (it got down to 5 last night).

This also showed up - I got these from a different seller, and was pretty sure they would work - not 100% though. The buttonholer shows wear, the rest looks unused. The listing showed the four boxes but not the manual that showed up with them.

But look what the manual is for - my new machine! A ratty one came with the machine, this one is much nicer.

So I've united a machine with an attachment set. They came from different states and now they'll be together here in South Dakota!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Wow! Looks really nice. Well maintained, obviously! Have fun!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:10 AM

That is one beautiful machine! You will love it! I have this same model and it is my every time go to machine. It is a total workhorse and runs very smoothly and quietly. Keep her oiled and she will run forever....and she does FMQ very nicely. Have fun and enjoy your new machine!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:22 AM

you will love it here is my baby girl I had her since 1972 bought new at a sears store cleaned and oiled myself and only needed to replace the belts twice after all these years luckily you can still get parts from sears I just got needle plate for it
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-1972.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 AM

You're gonna love that Kenmore!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM

Cathy,

Very nice machine. Similar to mine. When you get to cleaning and oiling it, turn it upside down and look at the motor. There maybe a hole on each end with some red paint around it. Those are oil holes. Oil them and you'll probably feel the motor speed up. Every Kenmore I've had with internal motors had been DRY, DRY, DRY.

Joe
Old 11-23-2013, 11:36 AM

Nice...what a nice machine to come home to.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Default Kenmore 138 and 158

You have a great little sewing machine. I have acquired six either 138 or 158 models and there are very
clean. The stitching is beautiful and the machines look as though they have been used very little.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:43 AM

We let her get good an warmed up, and plugged her in this morning. Light came on, and motor ran, but needle didn't go up and down. I figured there was something in the bobbin winding mechanism not releasing - so I grabbed the manual while DH pushed buttons.

He found it before I did - and it works well enough to leave positive feedback. DH will give this machine a thorough cleaning and oiling before I do any sewing with it.

Right now I'm trying to determine if I'm missing any of the accessories that would have come with the buttonholer box. I notice on several listings there is a blue box with a big Q on it - anyone know what that is for? I can read that it contains one foot and two needles, but can't tell what the foot looks like or is for. May have no use for it, but you know how I am about the attachments!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Awesome, congrats!!!!