my new Singer 215G!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Default my new Singer 215G!

I asked about this machine yesterday, but even the gurus here didn't seem to know anything about it. (I'm shocked! 0.0) Absent any info, I took myself off this morning to meet the seller. He'd bought it a number of years ago from a German refugee living in London turned war bride who'd moved to the States some time after the war. He used it for bike leathers and whatnot, but was moving and having a hard time making his weight allowance, so... I got it for $30.

It's a fascinating machine. It's got the class 15 vertical hook and bobbin, though the body looks more like a 201, and the tension is on the front, not the end like on a traditional 15. The motor is marked Sew-Tric Lmtd London, not Singer, but is clearly original to the machine. I've never seen a motor mount like this one before either. It's got the coolest lamp I think I've ever seen! That alone would date it, but according to Singer's list, it was built in 1954. It's definitely European-the motor is 240v and the plug has a fuse in it (which is blown). It's also got a decal set I've never seen before, but pretty cool. The finish on this is weird. It looks to be in decent shape, but you can clearly feel the decals-they're a different texture. It's been well used, but well cared for-everything turns smoothly. I don't have the kind of outlet I need to plug in the motor, so I don't know about that. And I'm gonna need a crash course in converters before I buy one, but that's the next step. The box base has the fold-down sewing surface, and other than smelling like a basement, the case is in good shape. Dirty, but intact. The little pocket under the hand wheel has the usual assortment-hemmers, a ruffler, etc.

All in all, it was worth the trip in town!
Attached Thumbnails 215g-01front.jpg   215g-02rear.jpg   215g-03motormount.jpg   215g-04light.jpg   215g-05decals.jpg  

Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 AM

Karen,

That is an interesting machine.

When you find the converter for it please post the information. I also have a European machine with it's original 240 V motor. I converted it to a US type motor system, but if I could come up with a converter I'd put it back to original and use the US motor system elsewhere.

Joe
Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Very cool!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

You should be able to change out the motor pretty easily. It looks like a VERY cool machine. I would have bought it, too. Cool decals, too. Is it a drop in bobbin or vertical? I don't think I've seen one of those.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

So many members on this board coming across these cool machines. Hope you find what you need. I have leads on a few machines but one is a Crown. Will be meeting up with the owner and trying to work out a deal. It has the complete drop in cabinet. Not sure about anything else. I did find a Montgomery Ward on the curb but it may end up back on the curb. Saw a Singer Manufactured machine but needed work, at the Goodwill for $50 w/o the cabinet but different cord and mgr of store wouldn't let me try it out. Needed work and parts missing. I envy all of you find such good deals. will see what happens tomorrow with the Crown (Circa 1953?). Not sure!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
So many members on this board coming across these cool machines. Hope you find what you need. I have leads on a few machines but one is a Crown. Will be meeting up with the owner and trying to work out a deal. It has the complete drop in cabinet. Not sure about anything else. I did find a Montgomery Ward on the curb but it may end up back on the curb. Saw a Singer Manufactured machine but needed work, at the Goodwill for $50 w/o the cabinet but different cord and mgr of store wouldn't let me try it out. Needed work and parts missing. I envy all of you find such good deals. will see what happens tomorrow with the Crown (Circa 1953?). Not sure!
Take your time looking. Check things like knobs you think you won't use. Some times things freeze up. Take fabric, scissors, new sewing machine needle and some time.

Why is the MW going back on the curb. So far I haven't seen one I didn't like but my sister says she had one with a metal and fabric belt that was rotted. Usually MW will clean up and be a pretty decent machine.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
You should be able to change out the motor pretty easily. It looks like a VERY cool machine. I would have bought it, too. Cool decals, too. Is it a drop in bobbin or vertical? I don't think I've seen one of those.
Vertical, with an oscillating hook. The class 15 bobbins I have fit perfectly. It looks to me like its guts/undercarriage are a typical 15 setup, but it's been put into a 201 body.

I know I can change the motor, and may in the end, but that very cool lamp as a part of the motor, so then I'd have to do something about that, too. I did find a converter that won't break the bank, (http://www.220-electronics.com/300-w...-and-down.html) but I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with this machine, other than go get it because I couldn't pass it up. I'd never seen one before either!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 AM

"...get it because I couldn't pass it up. ..." I'm sure everyone on this board would have done the same for that price. I'm like tessagin, I never get those deals. If I do find a want/need I always pay more than I hear others are paying. Oh, well, seller and buyer
satisfied makes for a good deal for each.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM

"...
typical 15 setup, but it's been put into a 201 body." Makes for the ultimate machine in my estimation.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Very interesting machine!!!