My new toy!

Old 11-15-2014, 04:54 PM

If you are any hand at all for doing your own servicing, go to it. Oil it all over at all the moving places, upper and lower, let it set overnight maybe, then oil it again--wipe it down real good with sewing machine oil (just like the FW rules), plus it won't hurt the wood of your cabinet to oil it down too. It might even work the coffee ring out. Oh, I see that it is blond wood. Maybe not with the oiling down on the wood part.

I don't have my 99s in the house here to go check, but I think they are pretty much like the FW for threading, etc. Did you get the book? Good luck with it. I am sure you'll learn to love it; they are perfect for piecing your quilts, and make lovely straight stitch seams.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

The 99 and the FW do not thread the same. IF in doubt check your manual.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The 99 and the FW do not thread the same. IF in doubt check your manual.
Quite right Miriam, the FW threads right to left, the 99 is the opposite (as is the way the needle is inserted). The 99K uses class 66 bobbins and they're horizontal.

Completely different machines. The 99K is a model 66 only smaller, and mechanically they're the same. You can DL a 99K (or 66) manual from Singer for nothing so just do that and you'll save yourself the guesswork.

Last edited by manicmike; 11-15-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Quite right Miriam, the FW threads right to left, the 99 is the opposite (as is the way the needle is inserted). The 99K uses class 66 bobbins and they're horizontal.

Completely different machines. The 99K is a model 66 only smaller, and mechanically they're the same. You can DL a 99K (or 66) manual from Singer for nothing so just do that and you'll save yourself the guesswork.
With those two machines you can look at your needle bar. The flat part of the needle goes in that groove toward the needle bar - then you will feel a small groove in the needle. The thread goes through that side. It isn't totally a rule of thumb but it will work for those two machines. My feeling on it is if you are going to have just two machines get two with the same bobbin and that thread the same. It is a lot easier to keep track.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:45 PM

I did get the book. It is in like new condition. I have the machine, in cabinet, in our heated, attached garage but still it is only 50 degrees in there. I am hoping it will warm up so I can work on it, try to run it and see what else is in the drawers. Thank you for the encouragement. This is so much fun!!