My new toy!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Smile My new toy!

Just out of the box! Didn't realize that it needs to have a base to sit up properly - can anyone give me the proportions of a 99K base? I could probably get my husband to build me one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498007[/ATTACH]

The handwheel turns but I haven't powered it up yet. The foot pedal has a lot of rust on the exterior - is this a bad sign? Should I order a replacement? I don't do electricity!! This was from Goodwill online and I probably paid too much for it - $73 with shipping, but it looks pretty nice. The decals are in great shape and it isn't terribly dirty. It came with a broken needle and a plastic bobbin in the case so very likely sews better with an original bobbin. Unfortunately, it didn't come with any attachments other than the standard presser foot. Hoping my FW feet will fit it.

I found the manual online but can't print it until I buy a new ink cartridge! I see the needle is put in flat side to the right and it's threaded left to right - backwards from the FW.

Well, guess I'll start cleaning it up!
Attached Thumbnails singer-99k.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 12:15 PM

I've always really liked these 1950s 99K machines more than the earlier versions. The decals, the length lever, etc. You snagged a beauty! Congrats and enjoy it.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM

It's serial number came out the year I was born - hardly an antique! Maybe vintage is the right word!!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:24 PM

I actually found a couple of sites that give directions on building a base. Disappointed that I can't try the machine out right away!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
I've always really liked these 1950s 99K machines more than the earlier versions. The decals, the length lever, etc. You snagged a beauty! Congrats and enjoy it.
Reverse is nice but I have one that is so sewed in... it is one the DGKs go to around here. I don't exactly know what it is but they love that machine.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:53 PM

That one is just like the one I gave my daughter! I think you'll enjoy it. Price is a relative thing and the pain soon stops. You can't buy that nice a machine new for that price so I don't think you overpaid.
I'll see if I still have my drawing and measurements for a 99 base. I'll PM you if I do.
Rodney
Old 11-09-2014, 07:44 AM

Most of those little 99s came in a four-legged cabinet with the stool to match--did you look around to see if GW also had it--the GW people here have sense enough to take the machine out of the cabinets, and sell them separately. My sister bought one when she first moved into a place of her own (1957 or 58); a lovely little cabinet with the stool that matches with the removable leather cover for all her sewing stuff; and paid for it $10 a month for whatever was offered back then. Still in pristine shape for all the use it has had--she made clothes for all our younger sisters, her kids, and occasionally a surprise for one of us older girls as a surprise down through the years. She got (and used) the buttonhole maker and several other useful little things with it.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Banned

Actually, the 99s were most often sold in a case as a portable. The cabinets that fit a 99 aren't very common.

Cari
Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Great machine....
Old 11-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Oh! I love reading this thread. I picked up at 1954 99 today with cabinet, stool and many attachments including the zigzag and buttonholer. It is dusty and a coffee ring mark on the top of the blond cabinet. It has not been used for years. The young couple that owned it bought it at an auction years ago for his dad but the dad wanted the antique treadle machine. I was happy to pay $80. Anything more I need to know about it? I just got it home so have not tried to sew with it yet but he said "it works"