Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My newest machine: am I now a collector? >

My newest machine: am I now a collector?

My newest machine: am I now a collector?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:45 AM

Not sure where the line is between collector or hoarder. I'm sure I've fallen over it, but am paring machines down to a more manageable number since I'm not using them. Those older Berninas look tough as a tank. Weren't there some models that could be converted to treadle?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:50 AM

Very nice sewing machine. Of course I want one as I don't have a Bernina in my herd/hoard.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Not sure where the line is between collector or hoarder.
They're just words anyway, or labels if you prefer. I use them when necessary but labelling is quite limiting.
"A collector" is far from an adequate description of who you are.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:31 AM

OH, I love that machine. I have yet to purchase a Bernina. The one I see are usually always a few hundred dollars above my budget. I am definitely a hoarder/collector as I now have approx. 50+ machines. I keep thinking I am going to find some good homes for some of them but when I look them over I can't seem to part with any of them. I just purchased a General (15 clone) and a two tone tan Modern Deluxe Brand. I will show pictures when I get them cleaned up. Couldn't pass up the Modern Deluxe for $5. Plugged it in and you can barely hear it run, sweet!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:01 AM

WOW! DOUBLE WOW-WOW! A real Beauty. I have never seen a machine like this.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Great find. Excellent decision. Congratulations.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 AM

Thanks everyone! Yep, it's a beauty. And all those accessories. I have to do a lot of leaf-blowing today but once I get inside, I'm sitting down and giving it a trial run.

I guess the question as to whether I'm a collector was a tongue-in-cheek swipe at the 'Bernina Mystique': am I now a legitimate collector now that I have one of them?

I plan to be amazed by this machine but then I'm amazed that I was able to get a Kenmore 1756 for free, a fantastic machine. So I don't think the questions are whether Bernina makes a great machine (a resounding 'Yes!') or even whether this Bernina is better than that Kenmore (another 'Yes!') but one of degrees: is the Bernina THAT much better? In other words, were I to sew a 3mm zig-zag with the same thread on the same fabric using the same needle on each machine with tensions as close to identical as possible, would you be able to tell which machine sewed which line of stitches?

Perhaps I'm too mercenary but price is part of the sewing experience, the "I got this great machine for nothing!" factor. The 1756 can lay down a seam as well as any machine and it's smooth and powerful, it holds tension beautifully, etc. I guess what I'm wrestling with is that early on in my collecting, I was seeking machines for their absolute financial value rather than their relative market value. It was in a sense naive, sure, but now that I've had my fill of inexpensive machines (I have many), I'm starting to leave that behind and am looking more closely at a different type of machine. A year ago, a colorful, blinged-out Japanese clone would have delighted me. I guess I'm being wistful.

OK, /rant over.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:33 AM

I think tastes change for people who collect. Yours is a very natural progression. You have plenty of the more common machines so now you are beginning to seek out other less common machines. I think price becomes less of a factor too. Things like rarity and condition become more important to those who have collected anything for a while.
While I love the fun styling and colors of the dashboard machines it seems I have more of an affinity for old black machines. For whatever reason those ones speak to me more.
Rodney
Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 AM

KRA,

Nice find, kinda military look with that green. I would jump on it in a heartbeat! A collector can be a person who acquires what one wants, in duplication, as opposed to acquiring what one needs. I acquired 2 more machines about 3 weeks ago, #28 & #29. #20 & #24 were traded/sold a few months ago. When your SO or kids say something like " another machine?, Really??" or the SO will say something like " well, what did that little jewel cost me? " forgetting that HE just purchased a new table saw to replace a perfectly good 10yr. old model because it has a better start/stop switch, you just might be called a collector!

Soman2
The other Rodney
Ponchatoula, La.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
I guess the question as to whether I'm a collector was a tongue-in-cheek swipe at the 'Bernina Mystique': am I now a legitimate collector now that I have one of them?
I was blown away by your new Bernina too. I think anyone would recognise its beauty, but maybe only a collector would think "I must have this"
Rodney's suggestion that your tastes change is true. Initially I bought 1950s and '60s machines, and didn't buy Singers. Now all the ones I buy to keep are antique (more than 100 year old) Singers. Frudemoo (who hasn't gone, she's just busy) went from antique Singers to iconic European machines from the '50s and '60s (latest is a 1950s Pfaff 230 I forced on her). Those Euro machines are astonishingly capable, and I'm learning a lot too.

You've got it bad if you know you don't have anywhere to put a machine and think that buying a bigger house is a legitimate solution