Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Singer 99 works!!!

My Singer 99 works!!!

My dh rewired "Grace" today and her motor and all her parts are moving and working!!! I can't get over how quiet she runs!!

He is going to build me a little box for her to set on and then I can actually sew something with her. I really don't want her in a cabinet. I wish I had the original box she came in back in 1928 but I am so happy to own her!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Yay! They are really quiet compared to newer machines. I forget that sometimes.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

I'm so glad that you have her working. I also have one from 1928 and it is a 99-13 with the knee bar. It is too bad you couldn't get the case for her. The bentwood cases are so pretty. But she will look great in a base, and if you want, you can make a cover for her. Keep on the look out, you just might be able to find one.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    What's the difference between a 99 and a 99K?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post

Here is some information on both machines...

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/99k/
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

The difference between the 99 and the 99K is where they were built. The 99's were built in the US, and the 99K's were built in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    The 99K's were made in the Kilbowie (hence the K) factory in Clydebank Scotland.... They are 3/4 size machines. I have one and she is a workhorse.

My 99K was built in Scotland in 1950 but it looks like a 99-13. It has no stitch length regulator. What's up with that? How come the manual for the 99's and the 99K's shows a stitch regulator? The serial number is EG038445. I'm confused, apparently it's called the "older series". So I guess I should be looking for stuff on the 99-13 then huh?
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62 View Post
    My 99K was built in Scotland in 1950 but it looks like a 99-13. It has no stitch length regulator. What's up with that? How come the manual for the 99's and the 99K's shows a stitch regulator? The serial number is EG038445. I'm confused, apparently it's called the "older series". So I guess I should be looking for stuff on the 99-13 then huh?
    Does your 99K have the knee bar that goes in the front of the bottom case? If so, then it is a 99K-13. If not, then it is just a 99-K. Newer 99's have a stitch regulator, I think. The older ones just have the knob. Mine are old enough that they don't have numbers for the tension either. You just have to figure out where it needs to be and set it.