Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Mystery Machine - Anyone recognise this Elna? >

Mystery Machine - Anyone recognise this Elna?

Mystery Machine - Anyone recognise this Elna?

Old 09-22-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Yes, I found the Elna group a couple of days ago. I bought an old Supermatic recently and I have been searching up and down the web for anything relevant. I have to take a chance on Ron White's rubber wheel then, and hope for the best, at least not the Canadian source then. I haven't taken appart the hand wheel yet, but there are slight noises there that probably should't, metal clunky at times. I have to tackle adjust ing zigzag movments in the Elna cam, and it looks like Jim there is the best help anyone could ask for. These adjustments are way advanced, and out of what I'm used to, I use several days to get anywhere. It's fun too though
I think you'll find that on the vintage machines - most of the adjustments look scarier than they are. You'll do fine. You're already doing the best thing which is researching and being prepared before going in. That should prevent the "where does this go" post that usually follows jumping in with absolutely no research and no camera.

The first thing I do when I get a machine here is strip off anything hiding mechanism and turn the handwheel. That lets me see and hear where noise is really coming from and what the state of the machine really is.

For that machine, if memory is correct (and it's often not!) you should be able to take the handwheel off, then put the clutch knob back on to give you something to grip while turning.

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post

Tammi I think you mean Ray White. I don't think Ron White gives a rat's *$$ about sewing machines, lol.

Cari
*snort* You are 100% correct! Maybe I was craving a beverage when I wrote that!! Ray white!! I meant RAY White.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
...For that machine, if memory is correct (and it's often not!) you should be able to take the handwheel off, then put the clutch knob back on to give you something to grip while turning.
Thanks for the tips, I am not used to open up and tinkering with anything but an old 201. For an old machine it seems quite advanced. The plastic up to date models doesn't look much more advanced when looking inside. The have electric boards added to the parts.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the tips, I am not used to open up and tinkering with anything but an old 201. For an old machine it seems quite advanced. The plastic up to date models doesn't look much more advanced when looking inside. The have electric boards added to the parts.
I think that completely depends on the new machines you're getting into. I'm certified with one of the brands and have taken apart $10K machines that have way more under the hood. That said, "Advanced" is another thing altogether. The basics of making a stitch haven't really changed fundamentally since about the mid-1850s.

Now things are usually driven by pulse motors and controlled by "shutters" and the like but the basic stitch mechanism is the same (though some new machines have "modules" like a needlebar assembly and a hook assembly that can be removed, serviced or repaired and replaced without the shafts needing to come out.

That said, the older machines are a lot easier to work on for small operations - ie replacing a needlebar, timing a hook, etc. Not unlike working on my 83 firebird vs our 2006 Mustang. The basic drive train hasn't changed (they even have basically the same transmission) but man! Working on the Mustang is a lot more character building just to get to things, and troubleshooting is more complex because of the "Additions" (i.e. power windows, etc)
Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 AM

I think that completely depends on the new machines you're getting into. I'm certified with one of the brands and have taken apart $10K machines that have way more under the hood. That said, "Advanced" is another thing altogether.
I have test sewed the new 700 Bernina series, and I know it's way advanced in the computerized part. I never looked under thee hood though. I suspect there is no cams in these new ones, every stitch pattern is computerized. The movents of the swing needle and feed dogs are controlled by motherboard, chips and fancy software? I have seen the internals of the low priced models they somtimes sell at outlet you would not think of as sewing machine oriented. I felt a bit disapointed, even though it wasn't computerised it had an electronic board of buttons for the stiches and functions. Every mechanical part in there was on the light side, not a screw, sort of clipped together. I did recoginse the part as the general way of things. The machine had suction cup feet under to make it stay in place when sewing. The old Supermatic I mentioned comes of as a sturdy machine in comparison, at the time the Supermatics was new, they were the new flimsy things, at least compared to the cast iron models

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-23-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:47 AM

I think that completely depends on the new machines you're getting into. I'm certified with one of the brands and have taken apart $10K machines that have way more under the hood.
That's very impressive. I'm just the average amateur who thinks it is both fun and intersting. I need a sewing machine for repairs and the odd project. When winter comes it's nice to have something to do indoors, I'm not the type who builds miniature cars or airplanes.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 PM

I have test sewed the new 700 Bernina series, and I know it's way advanced in the computerized part. I never looked under thee hood though. I suspect there is no cams in these new ones, every stitch pattern is computerized. The movents of the swing needle and feed dogs are controlled by motherboard, chips and fancy software? I have seen the internals of the low priced models they somtimes sell at outlet you would not think of as sewing machine oriented. I felt a bit disapointed, even though it wasn't computerised it had an electronic board of buttons for the stiches and functions. Every mechanical part in there was on the light side, not a screw, sort of clipped together. I did recoginse the part as the general way of things. The machine had suction cup feet under to make it stay in place when sewing. The old Supermatic I mentioned comes of as a sturdy machine in comparison, at the time the Supermatics was new, they were the new flimsy things, at least compared to the cast iron models
No cams, you're right. Most of the higher end machines at least use pulse motors that are controlled by one of the boards. I can't recall the last time I opened a sub-$800 machine but I don't think it had anything even bordering on a mechanical cam either. On the one hand, there are fewer mechanical parts to freeze up. On the other hand, a good zap through a power bar or an unprotected outlet and who knows what sort of calamity ensues. All 2 of my electronic machines are on UPS' for a reason.

That Supermatic was still made in a time when quality mattered. A few years later is when it started going down the tubes. It's at least mostly metal. It's lighter because of the aluminum body. I had an 80s Singer 290C as my first machine when I was 10 (I asked for a bicycle....). Heavy metal body, a Poop-ton of plastic inside. I think they were trying to convince people that there was still quality inside.

That's very impressive. I'm just the average amateur who thinks it is both fun and intersting. I need a sewing machine for repairs and the odd project. When winter comes it's nice to have something to do indoors, I'm not the type who builds miniature cars or airplanes.
That's how I started. When I got my featherweight, I thought I busted her taking the tensioner apart and was scared of over oiling her. Look what a few years can do! I have about 23 machines here, including a long arm and I service high end machines for people! This from a gal who couldn't sew 5 years ago. My neighbor has also been bitten by the sewing machine bug. He does other things in the summer and tinkers on machines in the winter. It's a good indoor hobby and as "antiques" go, a relatively cheap hobby.