Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Oil

Mystery Oil

Talking treadle sewing machines with an old Amish lady. She said I have not experienced treadling until I used "Mystery Oil" in my machine. Found in the automotive section at Walmart. I do not know the long term effects of using but holy moly, Batman! I can practically make the treadle work by blowing on it. Wowser! No effort whatsoever to make machine go. Smells good, too. (The lady said will not gunk over time but who knows, really, as that seems to always be the sayso and then......GUNK. haha)
    Name:  41CYbYCFILL._SY300_.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  11.0 KB

We use this in a super charger for a 1960 Austin Healey Sprite and it has not gunked up at all. That car does not get nearly as much use as your sewing machine will. Who knew?

Blog Entries
    My husband used it in engines and hasn't had any problem, but engines run hot...and probably your treadle isn't hot. It should be okay.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I was a follower of "Brian Sews" and began using it after he talked about it. It's very inexpensive compared to any of the others, but I felt that if the machine is set aside for any length of time, compared to Tri-Flow, Marvel's Miracle Oil has a tendency to evaporate. The red color can startle anyone accustomed to the standard Singer Sewing Machine Oil.

Thanks for the info. My TriFlo is getting about empty,so I'll give this a try.

Blog Entries
    *** Where do you buy Tri-Flow (have not been able to find at JoAnn's or Wal-Mart)?
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Power Poster
    I will have to pick some up for my old Singer treadle. Now if only it would work on my knee joints....

Quote Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
    *** Where do you buy Tri-Flow (have not been able to find at JoAnn's or Wal-Mart)?
    i got mine in a bike store
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    i got mine in a bike store
    Sew Classic also sells Tri-Flow. I think you can find it through Amazon from an off-site seller also. Just Googling the name brings up places that sell it.

Thanks for the post. Will have to see if my best friend has some to do spring cleaning on my treadle.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast