Mystery piece part?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 PM

Default Mystery piece part?

I purchased an antique tin of Griest Attachments from Ebay for my circa 1912 White FR sewing machine; and found this item included with the specialty presser feet/plates and quilting bar--I'm wondering what it is. Are any of you friendly and helpful QB members familiar with it? I'm thinking it may be a treadle cabinet piece as there is also a pully wheel and brace in the tin; or some sort of sewing attachment that gets screwed to the bed of the machine as their is also a thumb screw among the other items.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451235[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20131210_173701.jpg  

Last edited by lmc8; 12-10-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

maybe a thread holder, like a feeder, you put the threads thru it kinda thingy
Old 12-10-2013, 06:07 PM

It really looks like the prop for a small picture frame or plate holder. May not be that tho 😳
Old 12-11-2013, 02:23 AM

While I have no idea what it is, I can assure you it's not something that would have come with the normal selection of Greist attachments, and it's not one of the more common add on peices either.

All kinds of neat stuff got stuck in with sewing supplies over the years - I've got some very interesting items that came inside drawers of cabinets.

If you are missing some of the peices that would have come with the set, send me a PM. I've got a bag of them that fit the White rotary machines, got some that fit the White VS machine too.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

early steam punk necklace part?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 PM

Well, it seems that mystery piece part will remain a mystery and unfortunately after conversing with MacyBaby via PM I've found that all but one of the rest of my attachments are too narrow to fit the back-clamp screw on my presser bar. In all the research I've done I was under the incorrect impression that Griest attachements where universal.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 PM

MacyBaby, this image that I clipped from the Book 11 manual that Husqavarna Viking emailed to me when I requested the serial number date shows most of the named attachments. I also have a hard copy of Book 10 which I just checked mentions all the same attachments, only it shows square plates and also mentions a Felling foot and Gathering foot and Quilting foot/bar that are not shown in this image.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451420[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails griest-attachments.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 11:14 PM

Here is a photo of the Griest tin contents I had purchased. The Hemmer foot second from the right between the Felling and Binding feet is the only one wide enough to fit my presser bar. The side clamping Adjustable Hemmer foot is sitting in the lower left corner of the photo; I'm also not sure if that or the quilt bar will fit my FR either.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]451421[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20131211_094520.jpg  
Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 AM

I sent you a PM - most people don't realize there are at least 8 different sets, however the except the plates that attach to the base of the machine, they LOOK the same, but they are not.

BTW- the set you own is a newer style than the one in the print - look at the difference in the Tucker and ruffler, your set includes a single stitch and the newer style can be set to pleat every stitch or every 5th stitch. Also, the Edge Stitcher was not available with the older set. That foot was developed at a later date.

BTW - the foot that Print calls teh "braider" is refered to as the "gather" foot. The braider foot that worked with the underbaider is the really small quilt foot, and Greist used the Edge Stitcher for the braider foot instead of having the typical two hole foot like Singer did.

And at the time Greist switched to using the Edge Stitcher, they also stopped including the underbraider plate in the set - as you would now do your braiding on the top side. And at some point they stopped inlcuding the Tucker in the sets, but Greist kept it there a lot longer than Singer did.

The other interesting thing - all the long bobbin New Home sets I have (with New Home on the plates) also have a different Tucker that also says "New Home" on it.

I know I've still got a lot to learn, and my DH isn't all that happy with my method - to simply buy anything I've not seen before and then figure it out LOL!. Good thing most of these sets sell for about $15 with shipping. He reuses the boxes for what he's selling on ebay - so he likes that part.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Imc8. your mystery piece. it is missing the aluminum skull cap. it was used to pick up signals from Roswell!��