Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
National Eldredge Two Spool Treadle - HELP >

National Eldredge Two Spool Treadle - HELP

National Eldredge Two Spool Treadle - HELP

Old 01-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Default National Eldredge Two Spool Treadle - HELP

Hello!

Ok, I admit, I'm a total newbie....to both quilting AND to vintage machines (excuse me if I sound ridiculous about something...or everything). I'm one of those, jump in with both feet type people, and oftentimes I put the cart before the horse, so I'm hoping that getting information about this machine ahead of time will prevent disaster down the road.

I'm ready to buy my first treadle. I found a National Eldredge Two Spool in my area, and I'm hoping to buy it. I did confirm with the seller that it has the spool can, and they say it works (I will still confirm myself before buying). However, there are no additional parts. With me being so new to the vintage world, I'm hoping a few of you kind people can help me out, or point me in the right direction. What kind of needles will I need for this type of machine? Are there different presser feet available? Is there anything specific to pay attention to before buying the machine? Any information you can share about this treadle would be greatly appreciated! If anyone wants me to see a pick of the machine, I can probably post that....just to gather opinions.

If you're feeling particularly generous today, or have information, there is also a "New Domestic" treadle for sale. They say there's a drawer full of tools and parts. Same questions apply for this machine....needles, feet, etc.?

Thank you for reading my post, and thank you for sharing your information!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM

Hi,

Everything you need to know about a Two Spools can be found here:http://needlebar.org/main/manuals/el...ol/1index.html

That links you to the manual for the Two Spools. Make sure the spool can has all the parts which can be seen in figure 10 page 2 of the manual. The machine uses a 15x1 needle. That make life easy since you don't have to look far for needles, local fabric store. Here is a picture of the spool can in the race.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455845[/ATTACH]

These are wonderful machines for piecing. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2014-01-10-2.52.32-pm.png  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Thank you for posting the info! I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it. Here are some pics of the machine I want. If anyone sees any red flags, please let me know. Thanks again!!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM

Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM

Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM

feet are very easy to get - just have to get ones that fit the National machines. You can tell by the shape of the underbraider or shirr plate - though there is always the case that someone may have swapped them out.

This is what the different ones look like for comparison (this is the underside to show the "hooks").

The first fits a White Rotary, the next I believe is an older New Home Rotary, then Free and later New Home Rotary, and the forth is National Rotary (which is what the two spool is). There is another style for Standard that is not pictured here.

FYI - the White and National have the same width gap, but the needle hole is in a different spot, so make sure to check that before you start stitching.

you can do a search on eBay for Greist attachments - then find the set that has the right parts. Very seldom will a seller know what they fit.

There are several generations of parts - with the single, five stich and 1,6,12 stitch rufflers, along with newer sets that have an edge stitcher to use for braiding instead of the underbraider attachment.

And then - you can look for the left/right zipper and left/right cording feet. . . and then the buttonholer (green box fits National) and the zigzagger. . . and the fun just never ends LOL!!

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-10-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Rach,

Don't hesitate, run, do not walk and get that machine. That thing is NICE! Were I in that area I'd already have it and be bragging my self silly .
That machine will clean up to be gorgeous. The cabinet is to slobber over.

Why, oh why, don't machines like that ever show up around here ....... whaaaaaaaa .

Joe
Old 01-10-2014, 04:46 PM

BTW - I didn't' mean all Greist Buttonholers in green boxes will fit - but the one that is top clamp in the green fuzzy box fits - the red fuzzy box fits the Free/New Home.

There are so, so many styles of buttonholers that Greist made over the years.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Two Spools are extraordinary and prized for their ability to well.....hold two spools. These things hardly ever come up for sale in the Eastern US and are well worth snatching up even at a premium price. These are prized piecing machines.

Jon
Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Since I love playing with my attachments - I pulled some of my Greist buttonholers out.

Here are the Red New Home and the Green National boxes - these are both "fuzzy" boxes.

I also pulled out the White -

here are the business ends, White, Free/New Home and National. This is what you really need to look for. BTW - the majority of the Greist Buttonholers you'll find are SIDE CLAMP, and that is different than theses three.

And the national on my Two Spool - fits just fine.

For fun I took off the foot clamp and put the White on - first problem, with the foot lowered, it didn't actually come down far enough, and the needle and guide didn't line up correctly either.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-10-2014 at 05:28 PM.