Necchi 534FB - Happy Surprise

Old 09-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Default Necchi 534FB - Happy Surprise

My sister and I were going to garage sales last Saturday. At one place there was only one thing setting out by the curb - a small desk/cabinet for a sewing machine - with a "FREE" sign on it.

We stopped. I opened it up and there was a machine in it. It looked like it had a few pin points of rust on the paint - tipped it up out of the cabinet - the guts were nice and shiny - the wheel turned (noisily) but it moved - the needle moved.

It is a "newer" Necchi - I just plugged it in today and it does work.

The happy surprise for me - what I thought were rust spots wiped off. The paint is in very good condition.

I've been checking it out on two layers of fairly heavy denim.

It has a decent stitch and everything seems to work. What's odd though - I didn't notice a needle position feature on this - and some of the older ones have that.

It is a noisy thing, though. I think I've heard quieter old John Deere tractors.

Sad thing though. No attachments and no instruction book. The lady said she had them "somewhere." I left my name and address with her - but forgot to get hers. It came with the basic presser foot - snap-on - and that was it.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:08 PM

Free is always good!

I used to have a 537L, and it was a solid machine. Oil will likely do wonders for noisiness.

A lot of the newer machines don't have adjustable needle position, and the Necchi purists shun the ones that weren't made in Italy.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Free is always good!

I used to have a 537L, and it was a solid machine. Oil will likely do wonders for noisiness.

A lot of the newer machines don't have adjustable needle position, and the Necchi purists shun the ones that weren't made in Italy.
I also acquired a Necchi BU (black) two or three years ago and a Necchi Mira (green) this summer. They are kind of ugly, but sure run smoothly.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

I like Necchi machines. Sew-classic has attachments. You have to figure out if it is low or high shank. If you have some low shank attachments around, try one on the Necchi and see if it fits. If not, maybe it needs a high shank.
Did you give it some oil?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I like Necchi machines. Sew-classic has attachments. You have to figure out if it is low or high shank. If you have some low shank attachments around, try one on the Necchi and see if it fits. If not, maybe it needs a high shank.
Did you give it some oil?
The 534 has a snap- on foot. I did take the cover off and oiled everthing that seemed appropriate - or that I could reach.

I think it' s the belt that is making quite a bit of the noise.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 AM

great find, right price . picture please =)
Old 09-30-2013, 12:46 PM

I have a similar age necchi from the 80s, not the old classic necchis. I have a 3101FA. If you go to their website, ou will find the contact for the couple of employees who work in an office in Denver. They have been very helpful whenever I have called for accessories. There is a guy who has worked there forever and knows all the models. I bought a generic walking foot somewhere that did not fit quite right. Called them and they shipped me a cheap walking foot that fits precisely.

I have seen lots of bad reviews of this era of Necchi machines (manufactured in China I assume) but mine has been great. Bought it in the late 80s or early 90s, keep it oiled and get it serviced regularly. I don't sew over paint sticks as they used to demonstrate in the 'school sewing machine' sales pitches but it really is great when hemming jeans. I also boldly sew over pins with it, something I do not do with my fancy dan Bernina.

Just sayin' in case you find that off the shelf generic accessories do not quite fit or perform correctly.