Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Necchi 544 Excited then Upset!

  1. #11
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,339
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    Ouch!! It would have to be love to spend that much.
    Stephanie in Mena

  2. #12
    Junior Member Kittywolf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL.
    Posts
    265
    Thanks everyone. I will probably part it out then. How do you advise I do so? There are not too many removable parts on this machine. :P

  3. #13
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,333
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
    Joe, your eyesight is a lot better than mine. For the life of me, I cannot see where the teeth are broken in the gear in the lower right of the photo.
    As for the camstack, I have read a lot of complaints about broken ones. All I know is that I have seen some that I thought were broken on first sight, that turned out not to be when all other parts were cleaned and lubed. I don't claim to know what the follower does or does not track for each stitch without testing it out. As for glueing, I'm not sure I'm following what Joe is saying; I'm sure that in person you could point it out in a second. There are a few limitations to e-communications, eh?
    I do agree that for a $5 investment, you can afford to experiment a bit. One owner who had a camstack problem just kept it as a straight stitch machine and was happy with that.
    gear looks cracked by the screw - they don't last long under pressure - part that machine out. Does it have a decent foot control? How about a presser foot? Needle holder? bobbin winder? motor? throat plate? bobbin case? If it has a screw in it it will come off. I think I have learned a lot just taking a junk machine like that apart. You can kind of see how it should go back together as you go along.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  4. #14
    Junior Member Kittywolf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL.
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    gear looks cracked by the screw - they don't last long under pressure - part that machine out. Does it have a decent foot control? How about a presser foot? Needle holder? bobbin winder? motor? throat plate? bobbin case? If it has a screw in it it will come off. I think I have learned a lot just taking a junk machine like that apart. You can kind of see how it should go back together as you go along.
    The only parts (that I'm aware of) that is missing is the pedal with cord and the metal bits that go around the free arm and hold the extra bobbins and stuff. Otherwise it has a needle, needle arm, bobbin, bobbin case, all knobs I believe in good condition, it has the sewing machine cover. Etc. so I will part it. But I wasn't sure since im not well informed on what the parts are.

  5. #15
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,333
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
    The only parts (that I'm aware of) that is missing is the pedal with cord and the metal bits that go around the free arm and hold the extra bobbins and stuff. Otherwise it has a needle, needle arm, bobbin, bobbin case, all knobs I believe in good condition, it has the sewing machine cover. Etc. so I will part it. But I wasn't sure since im not well informed on what the parts are.
    I have found that I need to leave the machine in tact. Pull parts off as needed.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    528
    As much as I think Necchi is a great machine, this is a clear case of why, under all circumstances (Except perhaps the Bernina's) that we all should stay away from the plastic machines. I feel your pain.

  7. #17
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,333
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    As much as I think Necchi is a great machine, this is a clear case of why, under all circumstances (Except perhaps the Bernina's) that we all should stay away from the plastic machines. I feel your pain.
    Tell me about the plastic Bernina machines? I have an old one with plastic gears - I'm scared to use it. Are those ok? Mine is a Favorit - don't remember what numbers. The bobbin goes in from the back - makes sense but seems hard to use.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  8. #18
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,575
    Nylon gears last up to 35 years or longer, Miriam. Once replaced, they're good to go for another 35 years. If you're scared to use them, send them to me:> I own a vintage Bernina 830 and many vintage Elnas. A few have a nylon gear or two and I certainly don't consider them plastic machines. This model, Lydia, was prone to problems. One model machine is not representative of all Necchi machines.

  9. #19
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,339
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    gear looks cracked by the screw - they don't last long under pressure ....................
    Ahh. I thought that was dirt!
    Stephanie in Mena

  10. #20
    Junior Member Kittywolf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL.
    Posts
    265
    Yeah I doubt I would buy another 544 if I came across it. It would mean living with screwdrivers in my purse or pocket! I guess it was a practical monetary change to put plastic in an otherwise sturdy and metal machine. It's a shame really. Even if they last for 35 some years. Still I wouldn't right off the brand as whole. Im not fond of the "one bad apple spoils the batch" mentality.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.