Necchi Supernova

Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 AM

Red face

So glad for you! I hope knowing this machine has a good home helps the daughter. I just bought a Necchi nova yesterday & I'm so excited!! Got it for $20.00 at a yard sale! It had been cleaned & adjusted by someone in the business. ( I know several who have taken machines to this man & are quite happy with his work ). It sews like a dream & I love it!!! Enjoy your new machine!!!! We can never have too many!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM

Amelia,

Those are really nice pictures. Great machine, you will love sewing on it.

If that bobbin case has left over corrosion, replace it with a class 15 bobbin case.

Cool, looks like you got the buttonhole cam, that's the one that has a silver colored lever attached to a cam.

Cathy
Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 AM

Becky,

OH I don't know about that, but I am at capacity. VBG

Cathy

Originally Posted by G-maBecky View Post
We can never have too many!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Amelia,

Those are really nice pictures. Great machine, you will love sewing on it.

If that bobbin case has left over corrosion, replace it with a class 15 bobbin case.

Cool, looks like you got the buttonhole cam, that's the one that has a silver colored lever attached to a cam.

Cathy
Oh cool Cathy, thanks! I wondered what that lever was for - haven't been through the manual yet unfortunately. My little ones are quite a handful at the moment.

I posted some pics on the sewing machine shop board of the miraculous clean up of the bobbin case... Well, at least I thought it was miraculous but I guess 'those in the know' have probably known about these fabulous cleaning products forever! Thanks heaps for the replacement tip though, I'll make a note of it.

...BTW, how many = "at capacity"?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 AM

You might be sorry for asking that question. I really don't know since the number changes constantly. This morning there are 56 machines in the house that are my collection (yes, I did count them). There are 4 machine in the dining room that I need to work on that belong to others. The garage/ workshop has about 15 more machine that I consider to be part of my collection and will come inside eventually. The workshop has another 50-ish machines that I plan on finishing up and selling or that are parts machines. Then there are the attachments, iron and other misc. that I have collected. Yes, it is out of control, but I love my addiction.

Cathy

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
...BTW, how many = "at capacity"?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 AM

Well... almost exactly 7 months since my original post, I have sewn the first stitches with this machine (I almost called it a "poor machine" as I considered exactly what kind of abuse it had been subjected to.... but WOW!!! What an incredible resurrection.

I worked through more than an entire box of 500 Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol to remove the toffee-like goo from absolutely everywhere. Everything was seized up. Lots of weird patches of dark red gungy stuff that I couldn't decide was rust or not! My poor dad.... I took it to him to check for electrical safety and he's had to do some head-scratching and fixing of wiring, running the beautiful new black and white cloth covered power cord for me . Then today we revisited all of that area with the quest of removing the motor for cleaning. It was absolutely full of black sooty stuff but the brushes seemed to be fine. We flushed the whole thing out and then re-lubed. It seems to be happy enough and no more black powdery residue flying about.

So many hours of work have gone into this thing. I was so completely nervous when I finally got it all back together with cover plates on and a needle in place. It seemed utterly surreal to be following the threading diagram in the manual, thinking "Am I really going to plug this thing in and try and sew with it??"

Behold!! The most beautiful machine ever made. I swear I can actually believe this is true now that I've tried it. I can only imagine what a truly sparklingly clean and professionally serviced Necchi would run like - this one is amazing enough I am thrilled to bits and super proud of myself for sticking with it and truly saving this machine from the dump. There were more than a couple of times that I thought it probably wasn't going to be worth it, so that makes it even more sweet.

There are still a couple of stuck bits: the button that drops the feed dogs and the stop motion knob is seized, even after heat and WD-40 (and a good rest). Absolutely EVERYTHING in this machine required heat to get it freed up, so I know I will get there eventually and (best of all) that it's actually worth the effort!! Pics to come soon... it's very late here and I should be in bed
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM

Fantastic report Amelia. One of these days I will be able to find a Supernova to add to the herd/hoard.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Amelia;

Great rescue and fabulous machine. I have a Necchi BU and another Necchi from my SIL that is green but cannot remember the model.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM

Awesome!

I have an Automatic Supernova that I picked up at a thrift store that I have been working on trying to free up the feed dog mechanism. I finally got it moving, and just need to saturate the mechanism with Tri-Flow.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM

A very touching story. I am sure the daughter received comfort and a bit of much needed relief and joy seeing that machine go to someone who truly appreciates it. It is a beauty and I'm so glad you love it.