Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need To Corral My Sewing Tools >

Need To Corral My Sewing Tools

Need To Corral My Sewing Tools

Old 11-18-2013, 03:43 PM

I am trying to keep my arsenal of tools somewhat organized and this is what I have so far. Its kinda working. I did get the bag at Walmart in the crafts section. Most of the time I work on the cabinet the machine came in so I keep the bag on the floor and the trays on the cabinet. One tray has the little tools, the other tray has the bigger tools and the biggest screwdrivers are in the bag. My dremel has it's own toolbox and I keep it in the jewelry studio area because that is where I use it the most but it sure has come in handy for sewing machines too!
Attached Thumbnails img_5091.jpg   img_5092.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Evy

If you need something small, a coffee can organizer works great. I have two, one in the kitchen for pens, emery boards, note pads, and such and another in my sewing room for small things like nippers, rippers and small scissors and whatever else I can stick in it. I made mine with screening for the outside pocket and it works great. You can google "coffee can organizer" and several different ones pop up. If you can't locate a free one, pm me and I'll see if I still have my pattern.
Attached Thumbnails coffee-can.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Evy View Post
If you need something small, a coffee can organizer works great. I have two, one in the kitchen for pens, emery boards, note pads, and such and another in my sewing room for small things like nippers, rippers and small scissors and whatever else I can stick in it. I made mine with screening for the outside pocket and it works great. You can google "coffee can organizer" and several different ones pop up. If you can't locate a free one, pm me and I'll see if I still have my pattern.
Love this idea, just love it and it can be made in different sizes! Thank you for posting that picture.

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 11-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 PM

I use a nice tackle box - go to the Fishing department and check them out. Lots of neat little compartments for small items, and bigger ones for the larger stuff (but not a 3' item). They are perfect for sewing supplies, way better than most sewing boxes and way sturdier too.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 PM

I use a cupcake pan, put large plastic glasses where cake would go and fill up with your gadgets
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 PM

One of the organizers they sell for converting 5 gallon buckets to tool totes maybe? Here's one that's expensive but good quality:
http://www.cableorganizer.com/klein-...organizer.html
Harbor freight cheepie:
http://www.harborfreight.com/52-pock...zer-94868.html
I can guarantee the quality isn't as good but then your application is relatively light duty.
It wouldn't be too difficult to make your own with pockets configured the way you want them as another option too.
Rodney
Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
One of the organizers they sell for converting 5 gallon buckets to tool totes maybe? Here's one that's expensive but good quality:
http://www.cableorganizer.com/klein-...organizer.html
Harbor freight cheepie:
http://www.harborfreight.com/52-pock...zer-94868.html
I can guarantee the quality isn't as good but then your application is relatively light duty.
It wouldn't be too difficult to make your own with pockets configured the way you want them as another option too.
Rodney
Isn't there a pattern for making your own bucket tote?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 AM

I'd post a picture of my fabric wrap with slots sewn into it but my little brother won't let it out of his sight and wants several more. He can unroll it and all the tools are in their little pockets. Rolls it up and ties it with the cord. Fits neatly in a SM drawer or in his case wherever he throws it down.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Evy View Post
If you need something small, a coffee can organizer works great....
Yes, I just need something small for the tools that I use while sewing a project. Thanks for this suggestion Evy, it may just be the ticket. I have a large supply of the red plastic coffee cans. I’ve been using them for thread catchers. I punch a hole in the upper rim with a leather punch, put an S-hook in the hole and close that hook, and then hang the can on my treadle and power stand frames with the other hook. (Makes a fair beverage holder too!)

I have a bunch of pieces of vinyl that I could use to make the pockets....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20130909_01.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 11-19-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:48 AM

Ooops! My sweet wife just pointed out that I used the wrong form of waist in one of my previous posts. I used the word waste instead of waist. But, since I’m over 60 and out of shape, I guess either word could be accurate for me....

CD in Oklahoma