Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
need help with 391 walking foot >

need help with 391 walking foot

need help with 391 walking foot

Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Default need help with 391 walking foot

I finally found a walking foot for my 301. It was guaranteed to work on a 301. I don't want to mention where I got it but it was from a reputable place. Well it doesn't work or at least I can't get it to work. It is fine for a bit but once it hits a seam the stitches become very tight. I have tried playing with the tension but no luck. I love my 301 but maybe not for machine quilting? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Does anyone actually have a walking foot that works on their 301? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Oops, obviously meant 301 not 391.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM

I've posted this many times, but here I go again... There is NO walking foot on the market that fits the feed dogs of a 301. Will it attach to the machine and 'work'? Yes, kind of, but not like a walking foot is supposed to or engineered to do. All slant walking feet for sale are for zig zag machines, not a straight stitch machine. So, the walking foot doesn't align properly to the feed dogs. It's actually better to just lessen the pressure on the foot and quilt with your regular foot.

I wish someone would come out with a slant, straight stitch walking foot. But as of now, there is none.

People will argue that their walking foot works great on their 301 and I will counter with, it would work better if it fit properly with the feed dogs.

Hope this helps. You should probably return it if you're not happy and just decrease your pressure and quilt away.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM

Thank you for the information. Luckily I have a 15-91 and I am test driving a walking foot for it today so maybe that will become my quilting machine. I am very new to machine quilting so I appreciate your patience in answering my question.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems wiith walking foot.Have never used one decrease the pressure on your regular foot and quilt away,as with everything we do it takes a little practice, but you will get good at it shortly. Get your money back, buy some fabric instead!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Briarberry View Post
Thank you for the information. Luckily I have a 15-91 and I am test driving a walking foot for it today so maybe that will become my quilting machine. I am very new to machine quilting so I appreciate your patience in answering my question.
Don't give up on your 301 for quilting. Many women use it for that without the walking foot. It's also one of the best, vintage free motion quilting machines.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM

I am wondering if a walking foot works on a 403. I am having skipped stitches. It worked at first but not lately.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BonnieI View Post
I am wondering if a walking foot works on a 403. I am having skipped stitches. It worked at first but not lately.
A Singer slant walking foot will work on a 403 since it's a zig zag machine. There are also aftermarket ones like the one sew Classic sells. My thoughts are, are you using a big enough needle? If you're quilting with it, move up a needle size and see if that helps. When was the last time you cleaned your machine? Lint in the bobbin area can cause all sorts of issues. Are you sewing too fast? I've found when using a walking foot I have to slow down some. Have you tried removing the foot and putting it back on? Some times that works when you have those "I have no idea why this is happening" moments.

Cari
Old 09-20-2017, 05:16 PM

I have a walking foot for my 301a. It's the one from Sew-Classic. I have to admit that I haven't really used it yet though. I may have to do that this weekend just to see how it works.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:28 PM

Yes I did all those things. It seems to skip when it goes over a seam.