Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help identifying a machine.

Need help identifying a machine.

I was given a Seamstress A sewing machine which is pretty dirty. Therefore, I'm trying to clean it up but I do not have a book or anything on this machine. It has the shuttle type bobbin. I have removed the motor, light, bobbin winder and covers so the picture may not help but I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. The motor has a plate which says National Sewing Machine Company - Model A and the number 5B 976572A. It list the volts as AC-DC 115 Watts 60.

Sorry for the PDF but I couldn't get the picture to load.

I appreciate any information you can share with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sparks, NV
    I am not able to help you. That sure is a nice looking machine. I like those decals! Very nice. I hope someone can give you some information.

Perth, Western Australia
    I have no clue about this machine, though in search of something else I did stumble upon this site, which may be useful...they have many brands listed including National. I have no affiliation/connection or interest in this group, but they seem to have a lot of manuals available for download....not sure if under $20.00 is reasonable, but personally I find instruction manuals extremely useful and would find a machine minus manual a bit more time consuming/frustrating. Others may have better ideas or places to try, but at least this may be a start.
    Anyway, it looks a lovely machine and it would be great if you could restore it and get it going.

San Lorenzo, CA
    here ya go.... I am just learning about National now myself. I got a slightly later model recently and have been working on gathering info.

Neat factoid: National had a lot of product lines and brand names that they marketed under. in 1962 they sold their most famous, the "True Value" brand

Qeneral info about National

This ad looks similar to yours.

The bottom portion of this page has some info about National...

Jersey Shore
    I agree, most likely national.

New England
    I'd say it's circa 1890-1910 or so because it has that old tension mechanism on top as well as styling. It's not a New Home, but a New Home manual of that era would probably help you. I'd look online for one if it were me.