Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need to know what machine I bought.

SMR

Red face Need to know what machine I bought.

Last week I went to the Salvation Army store and they had an old small head Singer--green in color. I passed on it then and when I went back today it was still there so I decided fates wanted me to have it. The only number I can find stamped on the head is EV77Q 863. It also says that it was manufactured in Great Britan. It was only $14.99 in a small cabinet and wiring looks good, light works and foot control works. I just barely tested it in store just to see if worked and now need to clean it up.
    Thankful to still be here.Someone upstairs must still have a plan for me.

Blog Entries
    It might be a 185, which were from late 50's through early 60's, so still all steel. It should be in a plastic base the same color green, and they came with a cover that was also green. That's my best guess. I haven't looked up the serial number you showed yet...although it looks a little strange to be honest. I'll try looking it up next and come back and post.

Blog Entries
    OK...here's the info

EV- 721489 771488 285K 50000 February 6 1964

So, 285K is the model, which the K means it was made in Great Britain.
    Last edited by jljack; 12-15-2011 at 03:26 PM.

SMR
    Thanks for the information. Since it is in a cabinet I don't know what the case may have looked like. I thought the number looked weird too but that's what it says. Definitely all steel because it is very heavy for it's size. I'll try to post a picture soon.
    Thankful to still be here.Someone upstairs must still have a plan for me.

Blog Entries
    That cabinet is worth more than the machine. Those 285 machines weren't much good - the 185 is good and That cabinet will fit a Singer 99, a Singer 185 or a Singer Spartan - kind of hard to find cabinets to fit those. Nice find. http://www.free-guitar-tablature.com/Singer285J.html
    Last edited by miriam; 12-15-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Miriam, thanks for that educational link!! Very interesting!

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I have this machine but as a portable in the green plastic case and yes, it is heavy. I got mine a number of years and recently did a search on it. Turns out they are not well thought of and are noisy. However, I oiled and lubed mine and then used it to sew patches on a boat cover. Worked like a charm chugging through several layers of tough fabric. Heavy duty machine for sure. Good luck with yours.