Need More FW help

Old 06-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Default Need More FW help

Thanks to all who responded to my question last week about my new 1948 Singer Featherweight. I've been trying to educate myself on the internet about the machine but find lots of variation in information. I want to find out what the best things to use for cleaning the machine, type of oil to use and do use grease the gears and what to use? Which FW blogger gives the most accurate information on the care of the machine? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM

This site has lots of how to articles and videos for the care of a FW in their Schoolhouse section:
https://www.singer-featherweight.com/
Great people to deal with
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Banned

Everyone uses the products that work best for them, and/or what's available to them. My preferences may not be someone else's. A bottle of sewing machine oil(brand doesn't matter as long as it's for sewing machines. I use Tri Flow, Singer and Allstitch house brand). a small tube of sewing machine lube, and what ever you like best for cleaning the outside of the machine, as long as it isn't water based or harsh. I use TR3 Resin Glaze on my black machines.

Cari
Old 06-09-2016, 05:08 PM

I would use the link that someone else posted for the April 1930s site (the Singer Featherweight Shop). They have lots of useful videos and reliable recommendations. I use Zymol cleaner wax for the outside, the April 1930s lube on the gears and in the motor ports, and regular old sewing machine oil from Joann for the other metal parts.
Good luck!
Ila
Old 06-10-2016, 07:41 AM

My tech. taught me what I know about the care of my featherweight. 1. BE SURE to use sewing machine oil,as another person said. I get mine at Wal-Mart, but probably the same thing as Joann's; as long as it says for Sewing Machines.
2. The most important place is the bobbin. He suggested the little gear you can see in the bobbin area all a drop of oil.
3 On the left side, take that plate off, and oil wherever there are small gears and small holes for oil.
4. On the top of the machine, just a drop in each of the oil holes.
5. Tip the machine so you can get to the underneath. Take the bottom off and oil any gears, ect. When done, put the bottom piece back on.
6. I use a different oil--in a tube for the motor for the motor on the back. Haven't had to buy oil as there as quite a bit in the tube. I am sure Joann's would have the oil for the motor.

Have never done anything to the outside of my machine but wipe it down with a soft cloth,
Works for me; good luck!
Mariah
Old 06-11-2016, 03:30 AM

I was just gifted a book on featherweights, "Featherweight 221, The Perfect Portable" expanded 3rd edition by Nancy Johnson-Srebo. It contains a really complete history of the darling little machines and also some tips and techniques for simple fixes and adjustments. It doesn't claim to be a repair manual, though I have seen one of those, probably on CT or Annie's. I have really enjoyed the book and have a greater appreciation for my much-loved Centenniel edition.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:31 AM

Go to Nova Montgomery's web site. She is awesome. Knows everything bout FW's. Love her monthly tips too!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 PM

Here's a wonderful blog, and post about oiling using the Featherweight as the example.
http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/2011/07/how...sing.html#more
Old 06-16-2016, 02:41 PM

Judithb59, Thanks for posting this site. She did a great job on highlighting all the right places for oiling.