Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need serious help with this quilting setup... >

Need serious help with this quilting setup...

Need serious help with this quilting setup...

Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM

Default Need serious help with this quilting setup...

These are pics of a "longarm" setup I just bought today, it is a Singer 96-45 mounted as a longarm on a frame. This setup was used for 20 yrs. by the woman who ordered it made this way. I am picking it up tomorrow, as you can see, it is not close to being ready to move. Well, it wasn't when I got there today but was a lot closer when I left, 2 hrs. later! Yes, she was a serious hoarder but I did get all of my stash from her daughters as they were cleaning out the house and 3 sheds, so I am not gonna complain.
It is a 12' long frame and is 4' wide measuring from the outside roller bar to the butt of the machine. I even found a box of panto's in that mess that she had made/made herself for this machine. From what I have been able to find out, which is next to nothing, this machine dates to 1941 according to the serial # and the 96-45 was cancelled 3/1946. It was recommended to get the 245-?, all according to Ismacs. Does this mean this is a lemon or they just came up with a better machine? I am not that worried about it, just really curious. I paid only 10% of their original asking price since we have been dickering back and forth for almost 2 yrs now over a price. I could not imagine paying the $3000 they were asking for this setup, given it's current state. It has been sitting idle for the last 4 yrs, & the owner did use it up until her passing. There was even a quilt loaded on it the first time I seen it that has since been removed. I do know hubby is gonna rewire it as that's a little scary looking but, other than that I am thinking a grand cleaning is definitely on the top of the list.
Anyone have any info about this machine or even helpful links for learning how to use it? I sure would appreciate it!

First pic is the label from the maker of this setup.
2nd pic is the whole thing, trust me it's there... just completely buried under crap! It has 3 rollers, all with the leader fabric(?) attached.
Last pic is the machine. The lead rod hanging off is the stylus-type thing used to trace the panto, no laser. yet, but will replace with one.
Attached Thumbnails 009.jpg   010.jpg   011.jpg  
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Wow, good luck with getting her all up and running. must have been a pretty good setup when she was younger and able to keep up with the cleaning. Glad someone will be able to use the old girl and probably has many more quilts left in her to do.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Thanks, I am so excited to get her going again! I did find a few receipts regarding maintenance in the box of panto's. Most of it was done in the late 1990s and early 2000, for things like new bushings, a needle bar, and a few that just have "general maint." for the description. LoL! So it seems like she was taken care of, to a point. I guess since this was how the lady supported herself, she had to keep it running.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 AM

WOW, that is so cool, I bet she'll just keep on going...she's still looking good...let us see her all set up in her new home when you get it all done!!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 AM

That looks like a cool machine. I am glad she will be going to a good home.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 AM

$300 for the LA and all the other stuff. If you change your mind I will be happy to relieve you of the complete machine setup and travel to Ok to get it. I wish I knew where I could purchase a similiar machine. Bells and whistles are nice but so expensive. I would be happy with the basics. Send me info if anyone hears anything.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:46 AM

I've always felt that it is way to easy to trip over bells and whistles.

Originally Posted by BarbM32 View Post
$300 for the LA and all the other stuff. If you change your mind I will be happy to relieve you of the complete machine setup and travel to Ok to get it. I wish I knew where I could purchase a similiar machine. Bells and whistles are nice but so expensive. I would be happy with the basics. Send me info if anyone hears anything.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM

I'm sure once you have her cleaned and living in her new home, she will treat you right. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of her all set and ready to go. Much congratulations and many happy hours on your amazing find!!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM

I did find some neat stuff while going through the 3 boxes I got with this machine, and ran across a flyer for a KenQuilt setup that had a note attached to it saying "This is what I want my setup to look like. Thanks!". Along with 11 pantographs, 40 spools of thread(some 3000 yds, most are much larger and all cotton quilting thread), 12 bobbins and about 8 needles. I did buy more yesterday though, no telling how "used" or new those were. Hubby did a complete re-wire while I was out needle hunting and I tested it when I got home... OMG!! This thing is loud and so dadgum fast! Kids all said it sounded like I was mowing in there, not sewing. LoL! I know the thread is old but it will work just fine for practicing to get the rhythm and skill built, I am thinking. The first several quilts are gonna be just scrappy things thrown together for the dog and the cars.
It is identical to the KenQuilt system so now I just need to know... How in the heck do I load it to start practicing on it? Any ideas, or links, tips/tricks? Anything to help a total newbie out guys?? Also, handles are only on the back of the machine so is free-motion possible or just pantos? Thanks again for any help ya offer, I do so appreciate it!!