Need some advice

Old 03-22-2015, 05:44 AM

Default Need some advice

I found a singer 127-3 at a estate sale a few days ago in a great cabinet... manuel so many attatchments... new belts ,, oil,, the manuel is so old it is brittle so when I get back home I will copy another one from the net....
but how would i find someone to help me in the Atlanta GA area..or even someone here in the Tulsa OK area..... this machine is a beauty and for $15.00
I could not leave it... I am visiting my DD in Broken Arrow OK and come in on the plane.. so... I will have to store it here till i can drive out to pick it up.......but what might it be worth... and how to find someone to help me get it set up and going... I was thrilled to say the least... so well taken care of... the lady said it was her grandmothers and I told her how happy I was to get it..and I will treasure it for sure..
thanks for any advice or help...
Old 03-22-2015, 09:20 AM

Value is always tricky. It was worth exactly what you payed for it-the amount the buyer and seller agreed upon in fair trade. One in good condition would be worth more but there are too many variables for a decent appraisal. I have 2 model 27s, very similar to your machine. One was a gift from a member here and I payed $25 for the second one in a beat up treadle. They use standard needles, long bobbins are still available new too. I love sewing on mine. They will sew anything that fits under the foot.

It may not need anything more than a good cleaning and oiling to work. Your manual will have oiling instructions. It takes a lot to kill these things. If you haven't messed with old black machines be sure to read the sticky and watch the videos on cleaning it. Some cleaners will destroy your decals and finish.

You can download a free manual from Singerco.com under resources.
Rodney
Old 03-24-2015, 05:47 PM

Thank you Rodney...
i have no intent of selling it... I told her i will treasure it and i sure will..i just wondered... is all
i did not want to mess with the manuel.. so as not to damage it....so will wait till i can copy off and use it freely
i will watch the video's and read read.. i am thrilled with my new baby... so thanks again
Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 PM

Good for you, so happy for you and enjoy your baby. Bet it will not be long before you take a long drive to see your daughter!:0)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 AM

Lucky you! It will be a fun machine and worth even more to you once you have worked on it cleaning and oiling to make it your own. There are plenty of tutorials on this site to help you get started and if you run into problems you can post questions too.

Many if not most of us work on our own machines so there are plenty here who can answer your questions.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:22 PM

No it will not be long but.... I have a new great grandson coming in july and I said I would go help with the other 3 they are all under 4or 5 and she will have her hands full... and then i hoped to make a trip up HOME TO IOWA this summer soooo not sure just when maybe fall??? but i love to drive so it will not be a problem just got to find the time slot..
Old 03-25-2015, 02:29 PM

Mrs SewnSew
i will sure look all this over very well.... and see what i can do i think a good clean and oil and see how it all goes...
thanks to all... i am thrilled..to say the least
Old 03-26-2015, 12:02 PM

You will have so much fun when you get her home. I would be shopping CL along my route and end up filling vehicle before I arrive.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:47 PM

Congratulations on your machine! I have a sister who lives in Claremore, Oklahoma, so I'd love to be able to make that drive myself. I have other family in that general area -- Arkansas and Oklahoma, and we didn't get to go home at Christmas time this past Christmas. Enjoy your machine! Be very careful what you use to clean the head of the machine -- sewing machine oil and cotton balls or a soft cotton cloth is preferred. Other cleaners will remove or silver the decals and you don't want to do that!

Jeanette

P.S. I apologize -- I don't mean to preach to the choir -- you may have been collecting these machines for years, while I'm a rank amateur!