Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: needle hitting something down there

Blog Entries

needle hitting something down there

well, I was ready to fire up the 201 and she did a fine, fine job after I oiled and cleaned her up. However, when I put thread in her, I turned the hand crank (Thank heavens I didn't do it with the motor), the needle hit the bobbin (case?). I took out the needle (yuck, need a new one asap!) and it appears to be straight. The bobbin case fits (but I'm not 100% that the bobbin is the correct size because I'm ignorant of that).
    Short of new needle, what else can I do? Why was it working ok, and suddenly not working ok?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    well, I was ready to fire up the 201 and she did a fine, fine job after I oiled and cleaned her up. However, when I put thread in her, I turned the hand crank (Thank heavens I didn't do it with the motor), the needle hit the bobbin (case?). I took out the needle (yuck, need a new one asap!) and it appears to be straight. The bobbin case fits (but I'm not 100% that the bobbin is the correct size because I'm ignorant of that).
    Short of new needle, what else can I do? Why was it working ok, and suddenly not working ok?
    always put in a new needle - it can be slightly bent or the tip dull and you might not see it. 201s take a class 66 bobbin. I thought the 201 had a drop in bobbin instead of a bobbin case. Does that bobbin area make a racket? Did you check to see that the spring is holding the shuttle in place?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

My 201 will sew just fine with the plastic Class 66 bobbins. (Waiting for metal ones to get in stock).
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Check to make sure you loaded the needle correctly - flat. I've found on my 201 that if the needle is even slightly off kilter it may not pick up bobbin thread, might bend and nick the faceplate, and other awful things. Problem with most of these older machines is that the needle can be fit in multiple ways because of wear on the machine. It's the single biggest beef I have about the older machines. I can't count the number of times I've thought I had to get the machine serviced because of issues like this only to have the mechanic change the needle slightly and it works fine!!!!!

Power Poster
    Are you sure you have the right needle? Has the needle slipped down from the fastener? Can you put in another needle and carefully hand move it and watch how it comes down to the bobbincase? I don't have any experience with that machine so I can't think of anything else it could be.

Blog Entries
    I was wrong about the model. It's a 206 not a 201

206 takes a special needle, same as the 306. I think it is called a 206x13. Schmetz makes them.

Blog Entries
    Plastic bobbins are quieter. I prefer them.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

You are right, Donna. I'm gonna give up being a purist and use what works.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

also i BELEIVE the 206 takes special bobbins ( same as the 306 i could be wrong as I have never owned a 206)
    but the 306 for SURE takes an oddball bobbin (and needle, the biggest complaint people have about these fine old machines)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast