Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Needle size cross reference site >

Needle size cross reference site

Needle size cross reference site

Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Jon,

Roger that.

Some of the unID'd needles I have are industrial round shank. Big long suckers. Others are probably domestics.
One group is identical to 20x1s (I think- need to find them to be sure) but are round shanks. I've yet to figure out what they are and what they fit.

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 11:11 AM

I'm reading these posts, and I'm feeling like I'm in neurosurgery class..

Seriously, I'm a newbie (so to speak) to vintage machine acquisition. Other than my great grandma's Singer 66 in its original cabinet that I inherited years ago, it's only in the last couple of years that I've been happily acquiring vintage machines. But this is the 1st time I've read about all the different sewing needles there are... WOW!

I must say, I'm ever so grateful for everything I'm learning (or at least reading, and hoping to learn) from you wonderful QB peeps.

Regards,
Kif
PS My dh has really gotten into vintage machines as well. He called me a few weeks ago while he was at an estate sale, asking if I wanted another machine? Sent me a pic, of course I couldn't say no, if the price was right. He's good at getting "right prices"
So, we just added a Singer 201 in a blonde cabinet to our collection.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Joe,

I really don't have much interest in the industrials and wouldn't know how to go about IDing them unless they were in a marked box There are some round shank domestics like for the early W&W's and Davis that the shank is marked. Helps to have known needles to compare with the unknown. I have some round shanked "20x1's" also, seems 1-3/4"was a popular needle length and still is. I have hundreds of needles (usually marked Simanco with the needle size) awaiting sorting for the time comes when I know what I'm looking at. The time will arrive when I get a marked box the same as the unknown needle. In the meantime, I try not to lose sleep over them.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 12-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:51 AM

kiffie2413,
The number of needles still available is mind boggeling. Those from the past will short out your brain. Go to ISMACS
{ http://www.ismacs.net/home.html } and check their needle page.
Then go to Organ { http://www.organ-needles.com/english/index.php } and check their needles.

Jon,
Ah heck I don't sleep much anyway.

I'm going to buy some additional storage boxes and get all my needles in the same area. Then sit down with the calipers, a glass of ice tea, and all the charts I can find and see what I can do.

As far as industrial needles go, the only concern I have for them is if they'll work as substitutes for on of my older machines. If not I'll try to find some one who could use them.

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Joe,

I thoroughly enjoy sorting needles---guess I was a born bean counter. Don't forget the loupe or magnifying glass. The good ones are usually clearly marked on the shank. Loose round shank "Simanco" needles measuring around 1-1/2" are not worth fooling with unless you want a 15x1 replacement (that's what my unknowns are), Enjoy.

Jon
Old 12-28-2014, 02:15 PM

I have three tubes of Boye #21 needles, but they are round shank. I think they are older than 1925 so they won't work with the machines that take the 20x1 needles with a flat shank. I did look them up and have a list of machines they are supposed to work in. Of course I don't have any of those.

Then I have some round shank Simanco that are around 1.69" or so size 22. I've looked for these before but still don't have a clue what they fit.

Then I have a couple others that are round shank around 1.66" and are about size 14. One is marked Muva 90 the other is unmarked.

The last ones all have 2 mm shanks.

These are the ones I'd like to ID for my records.

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Maybe the local Sew n Vac repair person might recognize them? They often deal with industrial models or at least the one around here does.

Jon
Old 12-28-2014, 03:22 PM

Jon,

I've got to pay him a visit this week anyway, so I'll take the needles and see what he says.

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Joe,

The Boye charts I looked through say Boye 21 was always Boye 21, no change. Are the shanks marked and what are the needle dimensions? Boye 21 is a flat shanked Eldredge / National Rotary which is a 20x1 with a shorter tip.

Jon
Old 12-28-2014, 03:32 PM

J Miller,
Took a quick glance at the needle listings, you weren't kidding!

I collect vintage buttons, and I have them organized by color, shape, size, shank or flat back.
The ones I have more than 1 of go into lil baggies. Then all go into mason jars. Some of my quilty friends think I'm crazy. I suppose I am, but that has nothing to do with my enjoyment of button organization.

Enjoy your needle cataloging.

Regards,
K

Last edited by kiffie2413; 12-28-2014 at 03:34 PM.