Needles for a 1887 Treadle

Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM
dpp

Default Needles for a 1887 Treadle

I just purchased my first 1887 Domestic treadle sewing machine . Does anyone know which modern day needle will fit this machine ?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:51 AM

sorry, but I beleive the answer is "none". At least those for Domestic (older, not a White made Domestic) are not hard to find as the machine was out of production pretty early on, and Boye kept making needles to fit, so most dispay cases that are found still have that size needle in them.

BTW- does yours have a hole in the shuttle carrier?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:39 AM

Hi,

Sort of curious whether the "1887" date was gotten through paperwork or patents on the machine. This is my mental image of your Domestic as well as owners manual:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/0874/

Like Cathy says, new needles have not been made for this model in many years. Back in the day, the needles for this machine were called Domestic NT (notched top), 1x4, or Boye #8 (brand name). I don't think you'll have any trouble finding these needles. Good Luck.

Jon
Old 05-25-2015, 12:48 PM
dpp

So I need to look for boye #'s ??
Old 05-25-2015, 12:58 PM
dpp

Unfortunately , I have not been able to examine my machine yet. It was bought out of state and stays at a friend's house. I will get to see it this July. This machine is a Domestic #3. I believe it is dated from the stamping on the cabinet. It originated in England and was brought here after WW2 I believe. I will start looking for Boye needles. The picture in the instruction manual shows a notch at the top of the needle. I see slits in the shuttle and 2 hole looking openings on a moving part that is attached via a spring or screw at it's base. (looking at a picture)
Old 05-25-2015, 01:11 PM
dpp

My Domestic is the #3 . I can tell it is a newer model than the one in the link you sent me. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by dpp View Post
So I need to look for boye #'s ??
Best to post photo or link of your Domestic if it's not the one in the owners manual. Boye is about the most numerous type of old stock needles surviving today and are pretty readily available. Seems all the old general stores kept a tin of Boye needles and the wood tubes generally kept the needles in good shape.

Jon
Old 05-25-2015, 02:24 PM

If its looks newer, then it may take a different shuttle, bobbins and needles. Domestic went through changes and what we listed is for the oldest (like those from before 1900). I found reference to Domestic Cabinet #3, but nothing where that was ever a machine model number. Does not mean it wasn't, only that it's not providing useful information in identifying exactly what you have.

If it does not look quite a bit like this, then it may take a different needle (a more common one, luckily)

Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 PM

Actually, from what you said, it sounds like you are describing what the bobbin case for a White made Domestic Rotary looks like.

Does it look more like this?

Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
If its looks newer, then it may take a different shuttle, bobbins and needles. Domestic went through changes and what we listed is for the oldest (like those from before 1900). I found reference to Domestic Cabinet #3, but nothing where that was ever a machine model number. Does not mean it wasn't, only that it's not providing useful information in identifying exactly what you have.

If it does not look quite a bit like this, then it may take a different needle (a more common one, luckily)

Yes, #3 is a cabinet style rather than a model:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image4.htm

Jon