Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Neighbor just brough over a present: A mint Viking 21-E w/all accessories! >

Neighbor just brough over a present: A mint Viking 21-E w/all accessories!

Neighbor just brough over a present: A mint Viking 21-E w/all accessories!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 AM

!!!! How wonderful!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-27-2020 at 05:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 PM

Well, I'm sorry to say that when I fired it up yesterday to try it out, there was clearly a problem. It hesitates-- like it's gummed up. I've never experienced a gummed up machine before, but when I step on the pedal I need to spin the handwheel to get her going, then she'll go along for 3-5 stitches and need a little push on the handwheel again to overcome the resistance. I cleaned and oiled her generously. The motor is running great, and increases correspondingly with the pedal, so I assume it's in the gears and not the motor. The neighbor who gave it to me is fastidious with his machines (ie: when he takes a tractor out for the day, he gives it an oil change the next day!). My guess is this machine was oiled generously without being used generously. This afternoon I fired it up again, and it does run better, but it's not smooth yet. I'm guessing my oiling job helped dissolve some of the old oil left in there. I'll do some more research on the board about handling a gummed up machine, but if anyone has any tricks, I'd love to hear them! Thanks all-- very happy with it anyway, I'm sure it will be a gem once it's running smoothly!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:13 PM

What a generous man! That's a beautiful gift. Love the color. I bet he felt so good to find someone who can appreciate his fine machine.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Banned

I am not sure if the older Vikings used the same grease that the 70's and 80's ones do, but if so, that grease hardens from lack of use after about 6 mos...

I was told that the only solution IN THAT CASE would be to open it up, remove all of the grease and redo it.

However, if the machine just uses oil, and the oil dries up, the trick used in the early days was to have two oil cans, one kerosene, one oil. When the machine gets "gummy" you oil it with the kerosene, run it lightly for a bit, give it a good wipe down, then oil with the usual oil. The Kerosene will breakdown the varnish that oil dies into.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:55 PM

My trick is to oil often, let it seep in, wipe off any excess, keep on oiling and running the mechanism now and then. It will loosen up the mechanism and any gummed up parts will clean up with patience and a bit of effort. You can speed it up by using spray can oils, kerosene (smells), but any good oil will get you there. I like TriFlow but use what you have; keep up a tentative oiling routine the next week or two, and it will not gum up so fast again. Mop up best you can between oilings and running the machine, cotton rags and swabs work well. Don't be afraid to unscrew the needle plate and top of the free arm, also inspect behind the lid in the back (at least few gears on the horizontal rod and probably on the cam mechanism). Use correct size screw drivers and be carefull not to scratch anything. Oil all the moving parts behind the face plate, including the shaft where the needle and presser bar moves. Detect all the oil points, there is one behind the motor / belt cover, four holes on top, hook and race, etc. It might take a couple of days to free it up, and yet a week or two to flush out and replace all grime and dried up oil with fresh. The best thing you can do is to start using the machine as soon as it runs reasonably well.

Best of luck :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 12-03-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Banned

I would be cautious about using the "run it till it is smooth" approach. while the varnish is still there, you are doing a large amount of wear when you force the movement (yes, varnish/dirt can damage steel)
Old 12-04-2015, 03:08 PM

Oh my, lucky you, have lots of fun, she is gorgeous, thank you for sharing
Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 AM

Lucky you--what a wonderful gift from a man who values a great machine! Maybe he could use a warm quilt for the winter using the machine. Enjoy!
Old 01-27-2020, 09:19 AM

Default You Are So Fortunate

I know this is an old thread but I had to comment. What a remarkable gift to be given. I have 2 of the Automatics ... A 21 and a 21 E. I would have huge difficulty parting with them. My hubby is pushing for me to sell one ( I have 22 old sewing machines) but haven't yet been able. Congratulations.. your gifter must have thought you were a fantastic person!
Old 01-27-2020, 03:39 PM

Oooh a lovely Husky! Lucky you.
(Formula for the number of machines you need is always: N+1)
:-)