Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New guy + Singer Bentwood veneer question >

New guy + Singer Bentwood veneer question

New guy + Singer Bentwood veneer question

Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 AM

Default New guy + Singer Bentwood veneer question

Hi all,

I just joined the group. I've been surrounded by industrial sewing machines for most of my life, mom was a seamstress, and I worked at my uncles leather garment factory.

Anyhow, I just "won" my first vintage singer. Item #171102705975 It has the Godzila paint. and plugged her in and she was working It's soaking in kerosine right now, and I'll finish cleaning and oiling her later this week.

My question is in regards to the veneer on the bentwood case. I'm not a wood expert. Can anybody tell me what type of veneer wood is on the case? Any good place to get veneer from?

Thanks!

George
Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 AM

George,

Welcome to the QB.

From the eBay picture your machine looks to be a model 66-18. I have three of them. I like them a lot.

I wouldn't let the entire machine soak in kerosene as I don't know what effect that would have on the crinkle paint.
I've had excellent results using sewing machine oil with a tooth brush and cotton balls cleaning my crinkle machines. I have a bunch of them.
Letting the under side soak in the kerosene is fine, I'm just not sure of the painted parts.

I "think" the veneer on the case is either walnut or oak. I have one that has been stripped of it's stain and it looks like walnut to me. But I'm not a wood X-spurt.
I get my veneer from a local furniture manufacturing store. But I have seen on line sources. Unfortunately with the last computer crash I lost those links. Perhaps a search for veneer for sale might get some results. Or one of the other forum members might have the links.

Joe
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 AM

Thanks Joe,

It's actually a 99. Unfortunately I already had the machine soaking in kerosine when you mentioned I should not. I recall the singer restorer manual said it was fine. When I pulled the machine from the kerosine, it was dull, a bit of SM machine oil and she looks beautiful again.

Ok, looks like I'll have to drag the box with me to see if I can find a match.

Any advice on cleaning or refinishing the box?

Anywhere I can get a replacement Singer logo?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
George,

Welcome to the QB.

From the eBay picture your machine looks to be a model 66-18. I have three of them. I like them a lot.

I wouldn't let the entire machine soak in kerosene as I don't know what effect that would have on the crinkle paint.
I've had excellent results using sewing machine oil with a tooth brush and cotton balls cleaning my crinkle machines. I have a bunch of them.
Letting the under side soak in the kerosene is fine, I'm just not sure of the painted parts.

I "think" the veneer on the case is either walnut or oak. I have one that has been stripped of it's stain and it looks like walnut to me. But I'm not a wood X-spurt.
I get my veneer from a local furniture manufacturing store. But I have seen on line sources. Unfortunately with the last computer crash I lost those links. Perhaps a search for veneer for sale might get some results. Or one of the other forum members might have the links.

Joe
Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Banned

keelersales sells the logo for the wood.

Sorry, I am not the expert on bentwood cases, baring a replay on here, I would take mine to the local hardwood specialty store and match type/thickness.